Unboxing the Nano from CO Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks different than my rig. Hope it is all good.

It is a little different, I guess mine is the "Home" edition so the stand is a little more compact and a few different valves on the kettle. I'm hoping to get some time to mess with it this AM before work, if I do I will send pics. Luckily all seems well on the inside of the box.

View attachment 351018

My wife texted me a pic, mine arrived! Looks a little beat up. Flying back from a business trip can't wait to open it up.

That's not a little beaten up...that's "it was dropped from the plane, dragged across the floor and the UPS driver kicked it to your door because he was pissed off for having to deliver that big box" beaten up.

Hopefully it's all good. You should have someone open it up ASAP since you're not home to inspect it, that way if there is damage you can put a claim in with UPS or whatever shipping company that was used.

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your post above that you've already opened it and all was good.

That's not a little beaten up...that's "it was dropped from the plane, dragged across the floor and the UPS driver kicked it to your door because he was pissed off for having to deliver that big box" beaten up.

Hopefully it's all good. You should have someone open it up ASAP since you're not home to inspect it, that way if there is damage you can put a claim in with UPS or whatever shipping company that was used.

EDIT: Never mind, just saw your post above that you've already opened it and all was good.

Ha! Glad you sent it anyway it was funny. I got some time today to open it and start to put it together. Mine is the Nano Brewer Home edition so it is a little more compact than the original one shown. I will post some pics, as beat up as the packing was all was good inside. My wife said they thought there was a dead body inside it when they saw it!:)

I was missing two pieces, well I say missing, they were marked on the invoice as being shipped separately. They should arrive Friday. Now I just need to get my electrician back out to finish up his part and I will be ready to brew. Hopefully weekend after this one.

Is the plan to leave it sitting that low on the "stand"? If so how do you plan to prime the pump?

Is the plan to leave it sitting that low on the "stand"? If so how do you plan to prime the pump?

I haven't completely decided. It is kinda low. The legs look like the unscrew but probably just to level. I might use blocks to raise it 12 inches or so you don't need more than that I would think. I want to be aware of how heavy it will be when full!

Closed the books on my 3rd brew day with the new rig and ran into new issues. This time I crushed too fine (.030) and the recirc wouldn't work. And I changed the plate chiller procedure and that didn't work out well. I might start a separate thread under BIAB to try and help nail things down.

IMG_20160424_140123.jpg

I'm ready to order this system but I'm reading a lot of issues going on. My whole intent was to make things worry free.

Closed the books on my 3rd brew day with the new rig and ran into new issues. This time I crushed too fine (.030) and the recirc wouldn't work. And I changed the plate chiller procedure and that didn't work out well. I might start a separate thread under BIAB to try and help nail things down.

Can't remember if I mentioned this already, but I've had the same thing happen when I switched to recirculating eBIAB. I was used to crushing very finely, at 0.025, but found I couldn't recirculate effectively at that setting. I ended up settling on 0.040 and that worked great.

This last brew day I conditioned my grains and brought it down to 0.035. Worked great there too. I'd definitely recommend loosening that gap, but you might try conditioning as well.

Quick q. When you turned on your pump, did you let it go full throttle right out of the gate? I've found it is helpful to gradually increase the flow rate of the pump over the course of several minutes. Another thing, I've also found it helpful to I dough in and let it sit for about 10 minutes before starting the pump.

Hope this helps.

Ugh, sorry for the tough session I'm hopefully going to do my first two brews this weekend

I'm ready to order this system but I'm reading a lot of issues going on. My whole intent was to make things worry free.

I think issues will happen any time you change equipment or procedure. FWIW it still ends up being beer. First batch tasted pretty good considering all the issues. If you want worry free then I'd recommend going with a system that has very few moving parts. For example, my past equipment included a cooler for the mash. Once I started the mash I closed the cooler and walked away. I had no fear of anything going wrong because I didn't have a pump or heating element running.

Can't remember if I mentioned this already, but I've had the same thing happen when I switched to recirculating eBIAB. I was used to crushing very finely, at 0.025, but found I couldn't recirculate effectively at that setting. I ended up settling on 0.040 and that worked great.

This last brew day I conditioned my grains and brought it down to 0.035. Worked great there too. I'd definitely recommend loosening that gap, but you might try conditioning as well.

Quick q. When you turned on your pump, did you let it go full throttle right out of the gate? I've found it is helpful to gradually increase the flow rate of the pump over the course of several minutes. Another thing, I've also found it helpful to I dough in and let it sit for about 10 minutes before starting the pump.

Hope this helps.

For batches 1 & 2 the gap was 039 and the first one had issues but the second was better I think because I attached a longer hose to wort return. At the very least I need to try 039 again if not going to 041. For this 3rd batch it was just pure sludge and nothing was going to flow no matter what. I had pockets of liquid in the basket as I tried to pull it up. I swear I've had a finer crush in the past when I used a bazooka screen and a cooler but maybe not. Had my final volume estimates not been close I would have assumed I didn't add enough water for the mash. I will also next time throttle down the pump to the minimum from the start. I normally stir with a paddle for 5 to 10 minutes to check for dough balls before starting the pump.

What's really annoying about this is that I can't really dial in the numbers and predict results. It is my own fault for changing the mill gap but I had hoped to be ready for 10g batches by now. Technically my numbers are looking better but that's no consolation when you still don't get a "passing" grade.

Ugh, sorry for the tough session I'm hopefully going to do my first two brews this weekend

Just watch that crush and start the pump extra slow from the beginning. I'd also recommend running the auto-tune and definitely make sure you don't walk away while it's running.

I think issues will happen any time you change equipment or procedure. FWIW it still ends up being beer. First batch tasted pretty good considering all the issues. If you want worry free then I'd recommend going with a system that has very few moving parts. For example, my past equipment included a cooler for the mash. Once I started the mash I closed the cooler and walked away. I had no fear of anything going wrong because I didn't have a pump or heating element running.

I probably shouldn't have said worry free. Part of what makes if fun is the challenge to improve the quality of the beer and the process of making it.

I got a 20 gallon Blichmann G2 kettle for Christmas. It would be easy and less money to get the Blichmann Breweasy over the Colorado Nano Pro-Down under. I have read where people have a lot of issues with the Breweasy. I guess this will be true of any new system though.

My initial plan was to get a basket for the G2 and do BIAB with no recirculation. Possibly have a lid that fit inside the basket to press the grain after the basket was lifted. Then as I researched, I came across the Breweasy. Two kettles to clean and numerous reports of bad efficiencies; but a very polished looking system.

When I saw the Colorado Nano-System, I saw a system exactly like my original plan of the basket but with recirculation and automation. I'm not sure cleanup would be any easier than a two vessel system; you still have a basket to clean.

I hope you will keep us informed about your progress with the Nano. I'm going to hold off for a few weeks before making a decision.

I probably shouldn't have said worry free. Part of what makes if fun is the challenge to improve the quality of the beer and the process of making it.

I got a 20 gallon Blichmann G2 kettle for Christmas. It would be easy and less money to get the Blichmann Breweasy over the Colorado Nano Pro-Down under. I have read where people have a lot of issues with the Breweasy. I guess this will be true of any new system though.

My initial plan was to get a basket for the G2 and do BIAB with no recirculation. Possibly have a lid that fit inside the basket to press the grain after the basket was lifted. Then as I researched, I came across the Breweasy. Two kettles to clean and numerous reports of bad efficiencies; but a very polished looking system.

When I saw the Colorado Nano-System, I saw a system exactly like my original plan of the basket but with recirculation and automation. I'm not sure cleanup would be any easier than a two vessel system; you still have a basket to clean.

I hope you will keep us informed about your progress with the Nano. I'm going to hold off for a few weeks before making a decision.

Just watch that crush and start the pump extra slow from the beginning. I'd also recommend running the auto-tune and definitely make sure you don't walk away while it's running.

Great advice, if I can get me electrician to come back before the weekend I plan to do some water runs first then get all set up to go Saturday, if not I will take it slow. I have a mill but might just go with the store crush for the first two batches so I'm on the safe side and can focus on process. the home edition has a different whirlpool set up than yours. Mine clips on to the basket for the mash then on to the kettle for the boil, I'm not certain how that will work when doing smaller batches but we will see!

Great advice, if I can get me electrician to come back before the weekend I plan to do some water runs first then get all set up to go Saturday, if not I will take it slow. I have a mill but might just go with the store crush for the first two batches so I'm on the safe side and can focus on process. the home edition has a different whirlpool set up than yours. Mine clips on to the basket for the mash then on to the kettle for the boil, I'm not certain how that will work when doing smaller batches but we will see!

Hmm, if you can, maybe have some extra silicon tubing ready. My guess is you might need a couple of different lengths to help with that clip. I'm still using hoses for the mash with the 5g batch. Not sure what I will do with 10g yet.

Going with the HB store crush is probably a good idea. They won't over crush it and like you say, one less thing to worry about. Just don't get upset over numbers.

You might want to do a few clean cycles with just water to make sure it is clean. I think I didn't fully flush mine clean. Then a big batch of Starsan to soak will probably be good.

Oh, and maybe get a steel ruler to measure volumes. The priceless BIAB calculator is pretty close at measuring volume.

And I'm not sure I like the pump being bolted down. I think it might be easier to be able to move it. This means making a stand or something but I'm going to look into much later. Just something to watch for.

I am really struggling to grasp why you are making so many issues with this system? Why move the pump? Why does it matter if you need a hose for 5 gallon batches? Why not calibrate the site glass? Only variable at that point is the grain crush and by now you should have that ironed out.

I am really struggling to grasp why you are making so many issues with this system? Why move the pump? Why does it matter if you need a hose for 5 gallon batches? Why not calibrate the site glass? Only variable at that point is the grain crush and by now you should have that ironed out.

I'm not sure I'm *making* issues but discovering things as I learn.

Being able to move the pump seemed like a good thing to have at times because I found out that if it isn't clean you end up pushing debris while you want to clean. If the pump were easy to move I could run a quick clean at the sink and cut down on debris. I do this now with the plate chiller. The plate chiller disconnects easily and the pump not so much. So after a few sessions I observed being able to move the pump might be nice.

The hose for 5g batches *is* an important note. I think this will help during mash recirculation. My first batch the hose was too short. The second it was longer and it worked. The third I changed the crush and nothing worked. On the fourth I will revert the crush and verify the hose length. I don't have enough evidence to conclude anything yet. Also, the hose might not be needed for a 10g batch with the new arm they created in 2016. I won't know until I try. Grain bill will probably make the difference.

The crush was something I changed in hopes of improving my numbers. It was a mistake. I thought I was told to double crush with this system but that was wrong. Looking back I've read plenty that says to not crush fine when doing a recirculation BIAB. So, that was my fault but I'm still far from dialing in a crush setting with just 3 samples at 2 sizes.

I could calibrate the sight glass but a ruler seems better. Priceless BIAB calculator works with inches. Also a ruler is more precise and easier to read IMHO. I had never used a sight glass before so I had nothing to base this on before I started.

There is no doubt I caused some of my own issues. Hopefully these observations will help others. I really had no other sources of data when I started so I thought this would be useful to announce who buys this unit.

I guess I've worn this thread out. I'll try to create new ones if I have questions or observations in the future.

I'm not sure I'm *making* issues but discovering things as I learn.

Being able to move the pump seemed like a good thing to have at times because I found out that if it isn't clean you end up pushing debris while you want to clean. If the pump were easy to move I could run a quick clean at the sink and cut down on debris. I do this now with the plate chiller. The plate chiller disconnects easily and the pump not so much. So after a few sessions I observed being able to move the pump might be nice.

The hose for 5g batches *is* an important note. I think this will help during mash recirculation. My first batch the hose was too short. The second it was longer and it worked. The third I changed the crush and nothing worked. On the fourth I will revert the crush and verify the hose length. I don't have enough evidence to conclude anything yet. Also, the hose might not be needed for a 10g batch with the new arm they created in 2016. I won't know until I try. Grain bill will probably make the difference.

The crush was something I changed in hopes of improving my numbers. It was a mistake. I thought I was told to double crush with this system but that was wrong. Looking back I've read plenty that says to not crush fine when doing a recirculation BIAB. So, that was my fault but I'm still far from dialing in a crush setting with just 3 samples at 2 sizes.

I could calibrate the sight glass but a ruler seems better. Priceless BIAB calculator works with inches. Also a ruler is more precise and easier to read IMHO. I had never used a sight glass before so I had nothing to base this on before I started.

There is no doubt I caused some of my own issues. Hopefully these observations will help others. I really had no other sources of data when I started so I thought this would be useful to announce who buys this unit.

I guess I've worn this thread out. I'll try to create new ones if I have questions or observations in the future.
Simple, remove the pump head, 4 screws and rinse it out. How much debris are you getting in your pump where this is a concern?

Use the same hose for 5 and 10 gallon batches. I always did when I used keggles.

Site glasses can be read from the chair I am siting in while drinking a beer. I am not getting up to grab a ruler when it's literally right in front of my lazy behind :)

Simple, remove the pump head, 4 screws and rinse it out. How much debris are you getting in your pump where this is a concern?

Use the same hose for 5 and 10 gallon batches. I always did when I used keggles.

Site glasses can be read from the chair I am siting in while drinking a beer. I am not getting up to grab a ruler when it's literally right in front of my lazy behind :)

My pump is a few inches from the floor between the kettle and the stand for panel. It isn't easy to get to and another reason for making it mobile is to avoid dumping more junk on the floor. As it's just an inch or so from the floor it isn't easy to even get a bucket under it when I disconnect a hose. As it stands now I get a few spills each time I disconnect a hose that take time to clean and add to my brew day. If I were to unscrew the head I'd just dump the entire contents on the floor and make it more annoying. It's a garage but still not something I'd prefer to do. It isn't much debris but how much do you want in a plate chiller? Or how much does it take to cause an issue? Ideally I don't want any. Plus if I can start nearly debris free it will save time with the cleaning cycle.

Honestly it was just a passing thought. If the pump were on a block of wood then I could unplug it, and pick it up and put it in a bucket without spilling at all. Then a quick rinse under the sink, shake it dry, back on the floor, plug it back in, and get back to a clean cycle. Again, just a passing thought on what might improve the brew day.

The hose observations were made from discovering for a typical 5g batch something that having over a foot seemed to work better. I might not even need a hose for a 10g batch or a high gravity 5g batch. I have yet to learn or observe that. If I can avoid using a hose for the 10g batch then I'm happy to have 1 less part to worry about. I thought I'd note this in case someone tried a 5g batch or if someone went right to 10g.

As for the sight glass, to each his own. I'm lucky if I can read it from far away. More importantly, I'm on my 3rd batch and still haven't dialed anything in yet. In fact my first 2 batches were off when it came to final volume let alone gravity readings. I'm not as precise as some posters here but I don't think it a good idea to just eyeball the starting water amounts with just a sight glass let alone the other volume amounts later in the process.

And since I'm not dialed in yet and I *do* want help from some of those precise people, I'm going to need precise numbers which include the various volumes. I've read too many threads where people ask for help but don't have enough details to be helped. I'm willing to bet a nickel that is why the Priceless calculator has the measurements in inches for various stages. Otherwise it's impossible to know if I have issues with my starting water, absorption rate, or boil off rate for example.

That's an interesting situation. From what I've seen and read the G2 is an awesome product. It would be a shame to not use it. But then trying to use it for BIAB will require some tweaking and that can either be fun or frustrating.

For not much money you could get a custom bag and try BIAB with it. I've seen many who also get wrap for the kettle to manage heat loss without going to a recirc setup. The drawback is you can't be precise or make changes as easily as you could with a recirc system that includes heat.

If you are feeling really brave you could read about Kal's electric setup and modify the G2. But that can be daunting for someone like me who isn't handy.

A hybrid idea would be to buy parts you know you can use or can easily sell. Maybe get a nice cheap SS table and maybe an entry level pump/controller. Modify the G2 for electric and start with a simple BIAB system. If you don't like it you can switch to a 3 vessel by adding on. If you do like it you can upgrade to a different controller or maybe a winch and basket.

If I can help with questions just PM and let me know.

Hmm, if you can, maybe have some extra silicon tubing ready. My guess is you might need a couple of different lengths to help with that clip. I'm still using hoses for the mash with the 5g batch. Not sure what I will do with 10g yet.

Going with the HB store crush is probably a good idea. They won't over crush it and like you say, one less thing to worry about. Just don't get upset over numbers.

You might want to do a few clean cycles with just water to make sure it is clean. I think I didn't fully flush mine clean. Then a big batch of Starsan to soak will probably be good.

Oh, and maybe get a steel ruler to measure volumes. The priceless BIAB calculator is pretty close at measuring volume.

And I'm not sure I like the pump being bolted down. I think it might be easier to be able to move it. This means making a stand or something but I'm going to look into much later. Just something to watch for.

Let's keep the ideas flowing as we get these bad boys dialed in. The Nano Brewer Home does not have the pump mounted so good there. I have a ton of silicon tubing on hand. I went with a CFC instead of a plate chiller on Tims suggestion. I also plan on using his spreadsheet to start with. I will report back on accuracy.

Yard stick I agree till I figure the site glass out. I just use an HD wood one marked when I add my initial water. I know it's not perfect but good enough for government work as they say. I will be brewing a 10 gal batch of a yellow rose clone and a 6 gallon tired hands clone to start but pretzelb I know you love Maine Beer Co. Love to see what you've worked out there.

I don't expect it to be perfect for a while but hopefully it'll still be tasty!

Let's keep the ideas flowing as we get these bad boys dialed in. The Nano Brewer Home does not have the pump mounted so good there. I have a ton of silicon tubing on hand. I went with a CFC instead of a plate chiller on Tims suggestion. I also plan on using his spreadsheet to start with. I will report back on accuracy.

Yard stick I agree till I figure the site glass out. I just use an HD wood one marked when I add my initial water. I know it's not perfect but good enough for government work as they say. I will be brewing a 10 gal batch of a yellow rose clone and a 6 gallon tired hands clone to start but pretzelb I know you love Maine Beer Co. Love to see what you've worked out there.

I don't expect it to be perfect for a while but hopefully it'll still be tasty!

From my 3 batches I think using Tim's spreadsheet is a good idea. I think Priceless BIAB calculator will also work. But I would recommend trying both if you have time to see how they compare. With the Priceless calcs you get estimates on gravity and volume. I also think the CFC will work out well for you and avoid issues in the future. I think the big hurdle will be the crush and the mash recirc flow but you already know that.

Regarding MBC, I found the post for the clone I brewed here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=530531. I think I tweaked it to use El Dorado and Warrior per what I read on the MBC site. Hard to say if it's a good clone but I find it a fun beer to drink. I think the honey and wheat malt are part of the key to this MBC style of recipe. The wife and I have some near magical memories of visiting MBC. The facility is unique and the beers have a certain uniqueness to them.

From my 3 batches I think using Tim's spreadsheet is a good idea. I think Priceless BIAB calculator will also work. But I would recommend trying both if you have time to see how they compare. With the Priceless calcs you get estimates on gravity and volume. I also think the CFC will work out well for you and avoid issues in the future. I think the big hurdle will be the crush and the mash recirc flow but you already know that.

Regarding MBC, I found the post for the clone I brewed here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=530531. I think I tweaked it to use El Dorado and Warrior per what I read on the MBC site. Hard to say if it's a good clone but I find it a fun beer to drink. I think the honey and wheat malt are part of the key to this MBC style of recipe. The wife and I have some near magical memories of visiting MBC. The facility is unique and the beers have a certain uniqueness to them.

Thanks!

Looks great! I just got an email saying mine is done and should be shipping soon. Just in time for my garage to be finished. I did not realize how low it sits. I think I'm going to have to rethink my pump situation.

Looks great! I just got an email saying mine is done and should be shipping soon. Just in time for my garage to be finished. I did not realize how low it sits. I think I'm going to have to rethink my pump situation.

Agreed I didn't realize it either. I like the idea of casters but just went with blocks for the short term. What size kettle did you go with?

I went with the 10 gallon. I brew pretty regularly. So all of my beers are pretty much out the door in like 4-6 weeks or longer depending on style. So I plan on brewing a couple times a week. I wanted to ask what your plug looks like. I'm wiring in my garage and I need to match the outlet.

First batch sample. Pale ale from BCS. This was where I burned the wort. I can tell the ABV is lower than normal but it isn't bad. I like it. Seems maltier than before probably due to being able to control the mash. But I think this is what a pale should be. I'm happy with it. Looking forward to the 2nd batch which was an IPA.

View attachment 1461970055369.jpg

A couple of thoughts, first off I LOVE electric over propane! So much easier and less heat. I initially considered the Grainfather, really glad I waited till I could splurge on this system. I heated the water from 70 or so degrees to 120 in no more than 10 minutes. There were a few little glitches, but overall, it was a pretty smooth test run. I need to do one more rinse just to make sure all the PBW is out and will be ready to go. I will agree that with pretzleb that doing 5 gal batches in the 20 gal kettle may not be overkill. I bought a 14 gal and 7 gal fermentor now I'm kinda wishing I had just gone with two 14 gallon.

Wildseedgrrrl you should be happy with the 15 and, as long as you aren't making a huge beer you probably can still do some 10 gal batches if you so choose. Either way, more brew days with this system is not a bad thing!

Latest posts

Back