Unattended brewing - Airlock question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kinggoo

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post here. I made my first batch on Tuesday the 9th, and woke up on the 10th to some solid bubbling in progress. I read somewhere that it is necessary to keep the airlock filled as it will evaporate over time. I will be leaving on Saturday the 13th and the brew will be unattended for a period of 5 days.

I guess I'm just wondering if I fill it up before I leave on Saturday -- would I theoretically be safe considering it has been bubbling wildly the past couple of days?

*Also: I am using Star San/boiled water mixture for my airlock.

you'll be fine. If you need a mental safety net, just top it off to the line before you leave. I ferment in primary for a month and don't ever have to top off my airlocks.

I have had beer sit for 2 months and not had the airlocks dry up completely. You'll be fine, especially if only unattended for 5 days.

I don't think airlocks go empty because of evaporation nearly as often as they do due to "suck back". Suck Back happens when the temp changes and the volume in the fermenter "shrinks" causing a vacuum. If your temperatures are fairly stable, you should be fine. As others have said... top it off if it makes you feel better. BTW... You might want to you a sanitizer in the airlock. Starsan, or Vodka work great. But don't use anything you wouldn't want to drink like bleach.

BTW... welcome to HBT!

+1 on the you will be fine. I add liquid to the airlock once every 2 weeks or so. Welcome to HBT and have a good trip. RDWHAHB!!

Thanks everyone. I didn't suspect it would be a great big deal as it will probably continue to push CO2 through the airlock during this time. I have to quit thinking about it. I have a friend who regularly home brews, and always thought it would be a fun hobby. I was actually looking for a dishwasher over the past weekend and saw an ad regarding homebrewing and it rekindled my interest, and well -- here I am. Thanks for the support!

You'll be fine and use Vodka just in case you get suck back...............or thirsty for a shot. :ban:

Latest posts

Back