UK brewer - trying to improve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p_p

Reaction score
Hi everybody, I am based in UK (Woking Surrey) and have been brewing for little over a year, 9 batches all grain in total if I recall correctly.
I have been using recipes found in this forum minus changes based on ingredients availability and personal taste.

The beer is turning out fine but I don't have enough knowledge myself or people around who can asses the beer objectively and tell me exactly where it stands and how to improve it.
My friends and colleagues keep saying it is great but are unable to provide any valuable feedback beyond what appears to be personal taste.
I know the beer isn't great, I just think my friends know even less about beer than I do.

I am not aware of any local homebrew club around and I really have not managed to find much information about competitions in UK.
Not sure what to do, so looking for recommendations.

Maybe switch to brewing recipes from "Can you brew it", so I can compare with the commercial version and decide if my process and technique is up to standard.
Maybe switch to proven recipes from a book or buying AG kits to at least remove issues that may arise from bad recipe formulation.
Maybe getting my process reviewed by you, but it would be a long long write-up (i tend to write too much!), not sure if someone would be interested in reading.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
p

In all seriousness though, this is pretty common practice in the "BrewTube" community on YouTube.

We're all a friendly bunch and send each other beers all the time. I've found in a similar way to you that I don't know many homebrewers but have found a lot of very interesting and useful ideas, techniques and information from the guys on there. There are brewers from the USA, Canada, UK, Scandinavia and Australia/NZ that I have started connecting with and learning loads.

On the UK side check out the likes of Adam at Baldy's Brewery, Brewmaster Ben, Steve Moulson, Cheshire Homebrew, Christian Brewbear, Geeky Dad, Big Banana Brewing, and mine if you really want to (EvsBristol).

But feel free to send me any of your process stuff, I've only been brewing a year but I'm obsessed with it. I read this site every day, listen to several podcasts and read books and BYO recipes etc for more info.

Oh and take a look at buying Home Brew Beer by Greg Hughes, loads of people swear by it like it's The Bible. It's got tonnes of recipes in it but also loads of step by step bit on process etc.

I would make 2 recommendations. First, taste your beer side-by-side with commercial examples of the same style. As in, pour yourself two glasses of beer - one yours, one a commercial example. Sip each one, back and forth, and focus on the differences. What do you like/not like about yours, compared to the commercial example?

My other recommendation (and this might be easier said than done) is to become a BJCP-certified judge. In doing the training, you'll learn how to detect various off-flavours and flaws in beer.

If you think you have recipe issues, try some of these that can be found in the recipe section in the middle of the black bar at the top of every page on here. Most of these recipes are proven and have feedback comments too so you can see what others have said about them. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Fermentation issues would be the choice of yeast, the management of pitching quantity, and temperature with temperature control being the most important as fermenting too warm (even thought within the temperature range of the yeast you choose) can lead to some off flavors.

Back