Uhg! Forgot to sanitize my flask...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThickHead

Reaction score
...when I made my starter. I poured the starter wort into the flask when still pretty much at boil temp and I sanitized everything else (stir bar, aluminum foil, etc.). Would you toss it and start over or risk it?

Lol...indeed!

First time I have ever forgotten to sanitize anything. But to be honest I always sanitize my equipment when I clean it after use, a bit anal I know. I doubt I'll have any issues but I know that it will be in the back of my mind. I'll get over it. :p

If you poured it in that hot, you're probably ok. You'll know by the smell later on if you're right about that.

If you have a Bomex flask, you can just put that on the stove. That sucker will be good and sanitary at the end of the boil.

TL

As long as you don't repitch the yeast into subsequent batches, I think you are in good shape.

Not certain what you mean by this really. My intention is to step this starter up to a larger volume then pitch it into an IPA that I will have ready in a couple days. I don't plan to wash the yeast for subsequent batches if that is what you are refering to.

Beer_Pasteurization_Curve.jpg

This is good information but it really doesn't have much to do with the risk that my yeast face due to the sanitization of the vessel in which both the wort and yeast were transferred to. The wort was most certainly "pasturized" as I boiled the DME for 30 minutes prior to adding it to the unsanitized vessel for cooling in an ice bath. Unfortunately, if there were any nasties in the unsanitized vessel (that may have survived the initial heat of the boiling wort) all efforts during pasturization of the medium will have been for nothing. I appreiciate the info from the acedemia, always helpful.

Although I don't believe my starter to be infected at this point I am strongly considering starting over. Better to waste a vial of White Labs California Ale Yeast than to waste the time, money, and effort associated with any unwanted infection in the end product.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback!

This is good information but it really doesn't have much to do with the risk that my yeast face due to the sanitization of the vessel in which both the wort and yeast were transferred to. The wort was most certainly "pasturized" as I boiled the DME for 30 minutes prior to adding it to the unsanitized vessel for cooling in an ice bath. Unfortunately, if there were any nasties in the unsanitized vessel (that may have survived the initial heat of the boiling wort) all efforts during pasturization of the medium will have been for nothing. I appreiciate the info from the acedemia, always helpful.

Although I don't believe my starter to be infected at this point I am strongly considering starting over. Better to waste a vial of White Labs California Ale Yeast than to waste the time, money, and effort associated with any unwanted infection in the end product.

Thanks to everyone for the valuable feedback!

But you poured it in hot right? If the flask was above 70C for 1 minute it killed all the nasties, that is the point of the graph.

I've forgotten to sanitize my primary fermenter and it didn't get infected. On another occasion it was my autosiphon that I used without sanitizing. That was fine too. I don't plan on doing either on purpose, but forgetting to sanitize something isn't the end of the world. Your beer might get furry, but it probably won't.

I've forgotten to sanitize my primary fermenter and it didn't get infected. On another occasion it was my autosiphon that I used without sanitizing. That was fine too. I don't plan on doing either on purpose, but forgetting to sanitize something isn't the end of the world. Your beer might get furry, but it probably won't.

I respect what you're saying there, Cat, but it is somewhat analgous to saying "I spun the barrel, put this gun to my head, pulled the trigger, but I didn't get a bullet through my head."

As I mentioned above, I also think OP is fine, but I wouldn't stop him from starting over. At the very least, it's worth peace of mind. I don't think our reassurances are going to help OP sleep at night.

TL

But you poured it in hot right? If the flask was above 70C for 1 minute it killed all the nasties, that is the point of the graph.

The wort does not fill the entire vessel. So while any nasties that may have been lurking from the bottom of the vessel to the surface level of the wort may have been eliminated there is still the rest of the internal surface area of the vessel to consider. This is where my concern lies at the moment.

The wort does not fill the entire vessel. So while any nasties that may have been lurking from the bottom of the vessel to the surface level of the wort may have been eliminated there is still the rest of the internal surface area of the vessel to consider. This is where my concern lies at the moment.

You're right. I'd still go forward with it. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

But the hot steam does, right?

I respect what you're saying there, Cat, but it is somewhat analgous to saying "I spun the barrel, put this gun to my head, pulled the trigger, but I didn't get a bullet through my head."

TL

Actually, that's about what I'm saying. There's a chance it's going to get infected anytime you don't sanitize right, but not ALL the chambers have a round in them. Chances are... it'll come out ok. :D

Next time you could just boil your starter in the flask and won't have to worry if its sanatized or not. I have used both electric and gas stoves successfully with flasks. Some folks will tell you not to use electric but it works as long as the element is on medium heat.

Next time you could just boil your starter in the flask and won't have to worry if its sanatized or not. I have used both electric and gas stoves successfully with flasks. Some folks will tell you not to use electric but it works as long as the element is on medium heat.

The only reason that I have yet to attempt it that way is for fear of boil-over. Do you have any issues taming boil-over, especially early in the boil?

Exactly 2 drops Fermcap-S will eliminate boil over. At least it works for me. I use a 4L flask.

I have this "thing" about adding anything unecesarry to my beer. I am familiar with this product though and have heard nothing but great things about it.

I have this "thing" about adding anything unecesarry to my beer. I am familiar with this product though and have heard nothing but great things about it.

Funny, I have a similar "thing" about boiling sticky DME mess all over my cooktop. Totally understand.

It's cheap. Just give it a try. I think you might change your mind.

Funny, I have a similar "thing" about boiling sticky DME mess all over my cooktop. Totally understand.

It's cheap. Just give it a try. I think you might change your mind.

Yeah...you're not the first person to recommend it with that same thought. I may indeed. I typically just boil up my starter wort in a stock-pot and don't really have to worry either. I'm also am not fond of sticky DME mess. Thanks for the recommendation. :mug:

Back