Uh Oh...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atbrown

Reaction score
So, as I was chilling my wort with my copper wort chiller hooked up to my outdoor spigot, I noticed there was a large leak where the vinyl tubing of my wort chiller meets the copper. It had sprayed 10 minutes (roughly a half gallon) of 'garden hose' water into my wort as it's most susceptible stage. And worse yet, inside the hose, where the vinyl and copper meet, the hose had turned a dark violet color from previous uses, and this is near the leak that was spewing into my brew. I've cleaned oxidation off the outside of the copper tube, but have never dealt with the tarnish on the inside of the hose. That being said, I was a little afraid to drink it, but I also didn't want to waste my wort. I put it back on the burner (after it had already chilled to 120 degrees) and brought it to a rolling boil for an additional 10 minutes, hoping to kill anything that may have entered my wort.

I tasted it as I transferred to my primary carboy, and it didn't taste like it typically does at this stage. It was malty (as it should be) but the harsh hoppiness was nonexistent. I'm afraid that reboiling after the proteins had started coagulating may have screwed up my batch. Or at least altered the taste since my finishing hops boiled for 10 minutes longer than I had planned. Or maybe the violet tarnish inside the hose that entered my wort is a deadly toxic beast that cannot be boiled away.

It's a Scottish Ale measured at 1.072 OG. Used roughly 10 pounds of Coopers Light extract, an assortment of specialty grains, 2oz Perle for bittering and 1oz Perle for the last 15 minutes of boil (25 minutes when you count the 10 additional).

Does anybody know what can happen if you chill your wort and then reboil it? How does that chemically alter the process? And if I have nothing to worry about with the toxic tarnish, should I perhaps dry hop for a few days to replenish some of the lost hop aroma (or possibly boil some hops in a light DME mixture and add it at secondary - for flavor rather than aroma)?

Thanks.

I wouldn't have reboiled. I think this is definitely a relax and have a beer moment. It may require dry hopping to taste now, if that part can be saved.

Or trying to get some hopps into solution, like you suggest. I'm not sure, but I'd consider waiting it out.

the bigger issue is garden hoses aren't for potable water use, so its possible you could get some funny, rubbery flavors in the finished beer.

Hopefully its all ok, but you are correct that this opened potential for infection. The additional water likely removed some of the hoppiness, but its hard to say what's what until fermentation is over and you're closer to the final finished flavor.

definitely worth seeing it through to the end, but if its funky i wouldn't waste time bottling it. kegging maybe, but not bottling.

The same exact thing happened to me. My garden hose is old as hell and dirty, and I got around a quart of dirty hose water in my cool IPA wort.

I left it like that and it turned out fine.

People worry too much!

Just a follow up: I've drank the entire keg by now and it didn't kill me. It had a slightly 'different' flavor to it, but it wasn't a bad flavor. I think it was actually due to the high maltiness and the 7.3% abv.

Back