Uh-oh, fingers crossed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
Today was brew day. As I was getting things started, I was trying to do too many things at once. Long story short, the grain bag stuck to the bottom of the pot, and Shen I lifted up on it, it ripped. I did not notice the rip till I started taking the bag out after 20 minutes and noticed how much was in the pot. I used my small strainer and collected as much grain as I could, which I think was most of it. I continued on making the beer, and am hoping that everything turns out ok. Next item on my list to purchase will be a painters bag from the hardware store, just in case there's a next time.

Back a few years, when I was still doing extract and steeping grains, I came across a recipe for Boston Lager. With the exception of using US-05 at just under 60 degrees F, I followed the recipe to a tee. I can't remember the grains I steeped, but I do remember that the grains were left in for the entire boil. I was worried about tannins, but trusted the recipe. The beer turned out fantastic. Nothing like Boston Lager, but fantastic nonetheless.

I'm sure the tannins would be a bad thing in many styles, but you'll only know when you taste the end product. Some of the best beers I've brewed were those that I was most worried about.

Back