Ugh, I hate getting old IPAs.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrookdaleBrew

Reaction score
Picked up a bomber of Racer 5 today just because I was in the mood for something different. I should've known when it was the last bottle on the shelf that it had probably been there a while.

Normally I love this beer, but this one has zero hop flavor or aroma. I just mixed it half and half with one of my IPAs to make it drinkable.

It's times like these I appreciate the maltier IPAs like Two Hearted. At least if you get an old bottle of that, it's still drinkable. Some of these west coast IPAs have nothing going for them once the hops fade. I love them fresh though!

Picked up a bomber of Racer 5 today just because I was in the mood for something different. I should've known when it was the last bottle on the shelf that it had probably been there a while.

Normally I love this beer, but this one has zero hop flavor or aroma.

Well when it makes it to this end of the continent it still isn't too bad.
Of course it was flown here and not bought here as we can't seem to get many good beer here from the mainland. :)

I've almost stopped buying commercial beer altogether, unless I want to try a new style or something. The difference between a fresh IPA from home, and one that has been sitting on a shelf for lord knows how long is like night and day.

I allow myself to buy 1 bomber a week. Usually I try to get something I haven't tried before, but occasionally I'll go after an old standby.

Some IPAs age better than others. For example, DFH's big IPAs age very well and even though they are different beers when they have some age on them, they're still very good beers. The west coast IPAs, not so much.

Back