Uber Lazy Brewing Gear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimFarAway

Reaction score
If a "keggle" is a modified keg that you can boil your wort in, can you also ferment in one? Using BIAB, and no-chill, this seems like a great way to reduce time on brew day. Is there such an animal? Does anyone already do this? Can you also just switch out the top & force carb? All in one boil/ferm/serve ?

Always open to suggestions to save time and effort. :drunk:

As far as serving goes, you will want to transfer out of whatever you fermented in. You will want to separate the fermented beer from the trub.

I often BIAB, then either no chill, or chill in the kettle, then aerate and pitch yeast right into the kettle, lid the kettle and seal with plastic wrap or a plastic bag. Let ferment 10 - 14 days and transfer to a keg.

Essentially only two vessels, kettles and kegs.

Think I will try that myself. No issues with infections? Do you use a yeast starter to get fermentation kicking off quick?

Think I will try that myself. No issues with infections? Do you use a yeast starter to get fermentation kicking off quick?

Yeast starter, haha I'm way to uber lazy for that! I like to collect plenty of healthy slurry from a previous batch, or use dry yeast. The kettle is actually sealed surprisingly well, I lid the kettle, then fit a plastic bag over the top of the kettle, then wrap a length of string or cord twice around the kettle and tie it snug, string that has a bit of stretch works well. Sometimes I don't seal it with plastic til after high kruesen, cause the bag will come off due to all the CO2 being generated. The plastic bag puffs up and is a crude airlock of sorts, if the bag is puffed up tight, there is positive pressure....also keep the kettle sealed until you are ready to rack, don't be opening it three days in a row mucking about in your brew! Just think of all the potential infection you are avoiding by not transferring to a fermenter, but rather just leaving your wort in the sanitary vessel you BOILED in.

Infections, nah never, I believe the key is to pitch plenty of healthy yeast, then move the beer to a keg within a few days after fermentation is complete, say 10 days, let it "secondary", or condition in the keg for an additional week or two, then chill it. Not sure I would be so cavalier if I were bottling and warm storing the beer for months, but at keezer temps, I feel infection and oxidation worries are pretty well kept at bay....cheers!

If you try it, please report your findings, I feel like I'm the only crazy one here, or just maybe the laziest...haha

Back