type of tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewBoy19

Reaction score
what kind of tubing would you recommend for using on my mash and lauter tuns I am building?

I bought a polyethylene tubing. Its a bit rigid but i actually wanted that for what i'm doing. i am concerned if it will be ok. looked ok at store but tag says 100 psi at 70 degrees.

Suggestions?

The issue is going to be hot wort. Silicone is more heat resistant.

beerloaf

I love my silicone tubing... I even use it for racking for bottling and the like because I can boil it to sanitize the heck out of it.

is the polyethylene bad though?

Does it smell like plastic?
If you run HOT water through it then cool the water, does it taste like plastic?

Your call, but it would be a shame to ruin your beer over a few $ worth of tubing.

Silicone tubing is expensive next to what you'll find at the hardware, but it will not affect the taste of your beer.

Ed

I have been using polyurethane tubing for a few batches now and it works ok. The problem I had with the tubing is when it heats up it expands. When I'm draining my wort to my chiller, the poly tube gets really flaccid (opposite of this guy:ban:). The tube gets so soft that if it's not properly secured it will slip of the hose barb and spill your precious wort on the ground. So if you use poly tubing use SS hose clamps on any hose that gets hot. I hope this helps, Keep brewing.

Back