• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Tygon Silver Beer Line

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris41

Reaction score
I only needed 25ft, so I have the other 25ft to sell. 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD x 25 feet. This is the best beer line you can buy. No residual plastic taste and lined with silver to prevent any infection. I will ship for $49 to the continental US.

DSCN0068.jpg

From your link...

The medical uses of silver include its incorporation into wound dressings to treat external infections, and its use as an antiseptic and disinfectant in medical appliances. Silver is also promoted within alternative medicine in the form of colloidal silver, although it has not been proven to be safe or effective.
The silver ion (Ag+) is bioactive and in sufficient concentration readily kills bacteria in vitro. Silver also kills bacteria in external wounds in living tissue, so physicians use wound dressings containing silver sulfadiazine (Ag-SD) or silver nanomaterials to treat external infections.[1][2][3][4][5] Wound dressings containing silver are increasing in importance due to the recent increase of antibiotic-resistant bacteria, such as MRSA.[6] The disinfectant properties of silver are used in medical applications, such as urinary catheters and endotracheal breathing tubes, where the silver content is effective in reducing incidences of catheter-related urinary tract infections and ventilator-associated pneumonia (VAP), respectively.[7][8][9][10] Silver is also used in bone prostheses, reconstructive orthopaedic surgery and cardiac devices,[11] as well as on surfaces and fabrics to reduce the spread of infection.[12][13]

I may be wrong...but this hose doesn't consist of colloidal silver. It just contains silver ions.

I may be wrong...but this hose doesn't consist of colloidal silver. It just contains silver ions.

A colloid is just a chemical that is usually not soluble that is evenly dispersed in something. Chemically, Ag+ means there is a Silver atom with a positive charge (missing an electron.) It is still silver. The portion I linked to from the silver article talks about the effectiveness of silver as an antibacterial being very low. Argyria is only caused by silver intake over a long period of time. From my experience with colloidal silver, it is just made by running some electricity though some silver electrodes. Unless your beer has a voltage, I am sure you would be safe, but why rely on something that you are not sure works?

So I am just wondering if there are any conclusive tests that show this stuff is any better than silicone hose. I am sure tygon itself is a great material because of its corrosion resistance, and that it leaches nothing out. But what justifies the extra cost?

Please read the classified rules guys:

"No disparaging remarks are allowed in a Classified thread. If you think someone's goods are junk, priced to high, etc, keep it to yourself. No one is forcing you to buy anything and the market will take care of itself. Neither is a Classified thread normally a good place to carry on an extended discussion. It is not a typical thread but is someone's advertisement, and you should be extra-respectful of a Classifieds thread."

I would pick this up if I didn't just replace my beer lines last month.

I think this is an inappropriate calling of this rule. No one has made any disparaging remarks about this item up for sale. It has been offered for a specific purpose and some have asked for a clarification of the benefits of this item. That seems perfectly acceptable. If I offered to sell magic yeast that made great beer out of manure I don't think it would be a violation of the no disparaging remarks rule if someone called me on it and said no way.

watersr said:
I think this is an inappropriate calling of this rule. No one has made any disparaging remarks about this item up for sale. It has been offered for a specific purpose and some have asked for a clarification of the benefits of this item. That seems perfectly acceptable. If I offered to sell magic yeast that made great beer out of manure I don't think it would be a violation of the no disparaging remarks rule if someone called me on it and said no way.

How much for the yeast?

This hose is not a colloidal solution.
It's FDA approved.

Again..from "timbudtwo's" link..

"
Since the 1990s, "colloidal silver", a liquid suspension of microscopic silver particles, has been marketed as an alternative medicine, often claiming impressive "cure-all" qualities. The effectiveness of these products has never been scientifically proven, and in some jurisdictions, it is currently illegal to include such claims in product advertisements.[14] Medical authorities and publications advise against the ingestion of colloidal silver preparations, because of their lack of proven effectiveness and because of the risk of adverse side effects, such as argyria, a condition in which, over time, the skin acquires a blue-grey discolouration.[2][15][16][17] Historically, colloidal silver was also used as an internal medication to treat a variety of diseases. Their use was largely discontinued in the 1940s, due to the development of safe and effective modern antibiotics and concern about adverse side effects.[17][18]
"
This hose is NOT a silver colloid.
And It's FDA approved.

Just so it's understood, I am not commenting on the silver containing line one way or the other. And the yeast is $1,000 an ounce. ;)

Just so it's understood, I am not commenting on the silver containing line one way or the other. And the yeast is $1,000 an ounce. ;)

Reported for thread jacking. :D

All aside, this stuff looks awesome but I got new lines earlier this year. And it's not enough to redo my whole Keezer. Would be awesome though. the benefits of silver are just amazing. Kills everything. In the 17 and 1800's it was customary after drawing water from a well to put a silver coin in the bucket you drew to as you carried the bucket back to the house, as the silver would kill the majority of the bacteria in the water. This is also the reason why it became customary to throw coins in wells.

This hose is not a colloidal solution.
It's FDA approved.

Again..from "timbudtwo's" link..

"
Since the 1990s, "colloidal silver", a liquid suspension of microscopic silver particles, has been marketed as an alternative medicine, often claiming impressive "cure-all" qualities. The effectiveness of these products has never been scientifically proven, and in some jurisdictions, it is currently illegal to include such claims in product advertisements.[14] Medical authorities and publications advise against the ingestion of colloidal silver preparations, because of their lack of proven effectiveness and because of the risk of adverse side effects, such as argyria, a condition in which, over time, the skin acquires a blue-grey discolouration.[2][15][16][17] Historically, colloidal silver was also used as an internal medication to treat a variety of diseases. Their use was largely discontinued in the 1940s, due to the development of safe and effective modern antibiotics and concern about adverse side effects.[17][18]
"
This hose is NOT a silver colloid.
And It's FDA approved.

I am misunderstanding you entirely. If the silver comes off into the liquid, then it most certainly has become a colloid. To act as a disinfectant, the liquid must come into contact with the silver. This was my entire point. And just because the Government (FDA) says its okay, you trust it?

I am not discounting that silver has some antibacterial properties. I am just trying to figure out the extra cost justification on this tubing, and what makes it so good?

Is it because you don't have to clean the lines as much? Are you trying to disinfect the beer? https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/dangers-homebrewing-124653/

For example, using Stainless Steel over Brass or copper has many VERY obvious benefits. What is the reason this stuff is the bomb?

I think the most simple explanation here is that the inner wall of the tubing is coated with a resin containing silver. This inhibits biofilm and MO growth ON the tubing. This is the concern with tubing anyway. It is not going to disinfect liquid passing through it as the contact time is too low. It is going to keep the lines from becoming a safe harbor for any MOs that will be in the beer, build up over time, and could cause funk, discoloration, etc as the cell numbers increase. Colloidal vs non-colloidal should not be the point of discussion here. It is not a silver suspension that will dissipate into the liquid. It is a coating on the tubing. Bottom line, this tubing is shown to decrease microbial growth rather than kill infections.

I bought the tubing after reading a very long thread about beer tasting like plastic from the beer line. There is no plastic taste in my beer. I wanted the best tubing knowing this would be a one time purchase.

Back