Two-Yeast Hefeweizen in the works

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallmike

Reaction score
I've started a two-yeast Hefeweizen, 5gal partial boil, my third homebrew.

My first was also a Hef, which is my favorite beer. It blew out my airlock on the second day of fermentation, expelled the entire bung/airlock assembly and sprayed krausen all over my garage while I was at work. :cross: No harm done though, and I've used blow-off tubes into a flower vase since then. I used WL300 liquid yeast and it turned out fantastic, but I had issues with bottle carbonation. Had about a 25% failure rate with my clamp-top bottles, found way too many of them flat. I assumed it was the rubber washer seal, so...

My second batch was a Dunkelweizen. Used SafeBrew T-58 dry yeast which got going very quickly, but which didn't give me the banana/clove esters that I want from a wheat beer. I know Dunkelweizens are usually ester-subdued, but I wanted those flavors to be dominant. Vowed to use liquid Hefeweizen yeast for my next Dunkelweizen. This time to combat carbonation failure, I used all crimped bottle caps and had a much better result. Not too much carbonation from any of them at first, but the longer I held onto them the more consistently I found them to be well-carbonated.

So my wife wanted another Hefeweizen, and I figure practice makes perfect, so I'm back on a regular weißbier. But this time I pitched two liquid yeasts together, WL300 Hefeweizen Ale yeast and WL380 Bavarian Hefeweizen IV. I figure I'll get character from both, which is a method I want to try out for the future.

In the future, I was considering two experimental wheat beers. 1) A hopfenweizen with a 20-minute and 5-minute hopping from the hops vines I've got in the backyard (or store bought for 20-min flavor and backyard hops for 5-minute aroma), and 2) A border-weizen with Hefeweizen yeast and Belgian Ale yeast for a combined Belgian-Bavarian non-wit wheat character.

Wish me luck. Anybody ever tried pitching Belgian yeast with hefeweizen yeast? Both seem like they would be good vigorous strains, I wouldn't want to put a weakling in with a brute. Likewise, anybody hopped up their Hefeweizen? It's a variety I love, like Schneider's Hopfenweiß or Weihenstephaner Hoplosion, but I'm curious about homebrewing it...

Since T-58 is a Belgian ale yeast, you have already done the experiment you propose. Interestingly, Saison III yeast fermented relatively cool (no warmer than 76) also has some Weizen characteristics.

Thanks for the reply.

I guess though it wasn't quite what I was proposing, since I want to pitch the Belgian yeast alongside a Bavarian weizen yeast. My Dunkelweizen I thought was spicy but lacked enough yeasty flavor, which I love in a wheat beer.

I guess I was also thinking of a more-floral and less-spicy Belgian yeast than SafeBrew T-58.

I will check out Saison III yeast, thanks for the suggestion! :mug:

Well it worked out fine, both yeasts did contribute their character, banana/clove from WLP300, and clove-heavy from WLP380. A clovy Hefeweizen, big hit with friends and family. It came out very nice, almost indistinguishable in appearance and taste from Schneider&Sohn's Original Hefeweizen in blind tests with my beer buddies.

Trying a Black IPA next... it's in the tube and will be my first secondary and my first dry-hopping. :)

IMGP5848.JPG

Back