Two wet hop beers this year!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ong

Reaction score
Due partly to limited freezer space, and partly because I went a little hops crazy, I went for two wet hop beers this year.

The first is in the session IPA/hoppy APA range, and is just two-row, half a lb of crystal 40, and a bunch of Chinook (plus a shot of commercial Simcoe for bittering). Five oz of Chinook at 10 mins, then another 10 oz for a half-hour hopstand at 190 degrees. Smells great so far!

The second is a wet hop brown, that also served to use up a lot of extra specialty grains. 11 lb of 2-row, half a lb of chocolate, half a lb of special b, a couple oz of roasted barley, a lb of mixed crystal. I hopped with 3 oz of commercial Cascade at 20, then a 45 minute hopstand at 180 degrees with 20 oz of assorted CTZ, Centennial, Chinook, and Cascade.

Both are burbling away at 62 degrees in my new fermentation chamber.

I've dried the remaining crop of Chinook and Cascade, which amounts to a couple lbs. Nugget is still on the bines! It didn't feel ready to pick yet. Maybe wet hop beer #3 is coming up.... Wet Nugget cream stout?

Nice. I did a Black IPA (prefer to call it American Dark Ale) last year with a lb. of fresh hopped Chinook. Didn't like it at first, now it is awesome- just had one tonight.

I adore fresh hopped beers, wish more commercials would do them.

I love fresh hop beers....when done right. Too many end up tasting like grass. If you can add your hops at flameout and cool rapidly, that's the best way. I wish you luck with your two beers. I too brewed two 10 gallon batches. But I live down south of Portland near some hop farms and used 40 gallons of wet liberty hops in my two batches. Don't be afraid of filling your mashtun to the top with wet hops and running your hot wort on top of it right before cooling. G'luck!

Feh. Sampled these and while the brown isn't bad, the hops presence in both is quite low. I'm cold crashing them now, and planning to keg hop the pale into the Stone Age with something like Comet.

Back