Two Tone Helles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reno316

Reaction score
Hi, gang. Me again.

Brewed a batch of German Helles from a Brewers Best kit. Followed directions, and pitched yeast on Saturday (week ago.)

Has been at a steady 72 degrees, dark corner of my den, since. Today, I notice that it appears to have separated into two layers. Darker on top, cloudy-lighter layer below.

Do I need to worry about this? Should I give it a stir? Airlock activity is nearly nil at this point... A bubble here and there.

Only thing of note during brewing was that I pitched yeast when wort was right about 80, perhaps 82, and it took a good 36-48 hours before I saw airlock activity.

Input appreciated. Gracias.

(Oh, and my java porter turned out AMAZING). A really nice brew, and it is taking all my willpower to not drink them now so I have some for the winter.

You should be fine, that contrast in color is most likely just stuff settling once fermentation dies down. Good luck!

it's the yeast on the bottom. nothing to worry about, let it be. when i brew saisons I get this (except in reverse cause of ale yeast). It looks like a perfectly poured black and tan.

Maybe it is the yeast... But this line where the colors split is about half way up a 6.5 gal carboy... I didn't use THAT much yeast.

I van see the trub settled at the very bottom, and this ain't that.

That sounds like yeast starting fermentation. There may be a better term for it, but its nothing to worry or do anything about.

When liquid sits, it naturally wants to stratify. Yeast lightens the color of the beer significantly, I have had "three toned" beers that precipitated out fine. Just give it time, it'll be fine.

Back