Two Mash Tuns or Convert Sanke?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThreeRatBastards

Reaction score
I like to do big beers, RIS and Barleywines, and I've run into an issue. I currently have a 10gal cooler as my mashtun but my grain limit is 24lbs. The wife has given me the go ahead to build another mash tun and I am wondering if I should just build another cooler mash tun (cost ~$100) or convert a sankey keg I have at the house (cost ~$150).

If I were to choose the 2 cooler route, would there be an concerns splitting my grains up between the two coolers for the same beer?

Do you want the ability to direct fire your mash tun for step mashes? Advantage sanke. Can you build a bigger mash tun from a rectangular cooler for nearly the same money? That would get you a small tun and a large tun while keeping your sanke intact. I don't see any problem with running two 10 gallon mash tuns though. You would just need to mill grains separately for 2 batches each time to maintain repeatability.

Get a 150 qt. rectangular cooler and you're set. In this photo, we ended up using 75. lb. of grain at 1.25 qt./lb. with room to spare.

main.php

Back