Two-Hearted Clone Malt Extract Substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
OK, so this will only be my second time brewing, and I know this is pretty ambitious, but I've found a recipe for a Bell's Two-Hearted clone, which is one of my staple beers. However, since it IS only my second time, I don't feel up to using grain malt, so I'm trying to convert this recipe to malt extract (I know it won't be as close in taste using extracts, but I'd like to brew in that direction :) ). I think I have the base malt converted, but the recipe calls for 1.5 lbs Munich 1 and .5 lbs Caramel 40L - how would I substitute malt extract for these? Or would I steep specialty grains? Thanks!!

Just convert the base malts. Steep any of the specialty grains. The base malt is where the sugar comes from thats the important part. 3 lbs of specialty grain to steep isnt that much.

I think you have to mash munich, but my LHBS has munich extract. Somebody correct me if I am wrong here.

I think you have to mash munich, but my LHBS has munich extract. Somebody correct me if I am wrong here.

actually your right,good catch. I missed that. Munich has to be mashed. I havent found munich extract, at least not at my LHBS.

Here is a recipe for a two hearted clone from my LHBS

8.4 lbs pale LME

1lb Crystal 10L

1oz centennial at 60
1oz centennial at 10
1oz centennial at 5
1oz centennial dry hopped

using safale-05 for dry yeast or wyeast 1056 for liquid

Thanks guys! Maybe we'll try the recipe with the extract this time and then make our way up to the all grain when we've got a little more experience. either way, I'm excited!!

speeddemon190 said:
actually your right,good catch. I missed that. Munich has to be mashed. I havent found munich extract, at least not at my LHBS. Here is a recipe for a two hearted clone from my LHBS 8.4 lbs pale LME 1lb Crystal 10L 1oz centennial at 60 1oz centennial at 10 1oz centennial at 5 1oz centennial dry hopped using safale-05 for dry yeast or wyeast 1056 for liquid

Looks like Adventures in Homebrewing (especially since you are from Monroe). I'm from Ann Arbor (they opened up a store here in the last couple of years), and that was my first brew a little over a year ago. Even though I used pretty poor practices, it turned out great. Several people said it was pretty spot on. I would absolutely recommend that recipe if you are looking for two hearted. And I used dry yeast.

Looks like Adventures in Homebrewing (especially since you are from Monroe). I'm from Ann Arbor (they opened up a store here in the last couple of years), and that was my first brew a little over a year ago. Even though I used pretty poor practices, it turned out great. Several people said it was pretty spot on. I would absolutely recommend that recipe if you are looking for two hearted. And I used dry yeast.

Hit the Nail on the head. I also have a homebrew store in dundee to the west of me, but its kinda small and doesnt have much in terms of customer service. AIH is a great store and they will give you help over the phone if you call them. I work with someone who works there as a 2nd job and AIH is the first place I go for all my equipment and ingredients.

Someone told me there is another homebrew store called wine barrel plus on plymouth rd in livonia that has a huge selection of homebrew equipement as well. Too far for me.

actually your right,good catch. I missed that. Munich has to be mashed. I havent found munich extract, at least not at my LHBS.

Here is a recipe for a two hearted clone from my LHBS

8.4 lbs pale LME

1lb Crystal 10L

1oz centennial at 60
1oz centennial at 10
1oz centennial at 5
1oz centennial dry hopped

using safale-05 for dry yeast or wyeast 1056 for liquid

Tried this recipe today, excited to see how it comes out! Thanks again!

You can do this all extract without mashing anything. 1.5 lbs of grains is roughly 1lb of DME.

Briess Munich Extract is 50% Base and 50% Munich use 2 lbs of Munich DME and you'll have your 1.5 lbs of Munich. The Crystal 40 at 8oz will give it a nice reddish color. I would drop it back to 5-6 oz because you're beers will be darker because of using extract anyway.

When I brewed my 2 hearted clone I used 3.3lb Munich LME with the rest of the extract being Light, I used crystal 40 as well and thought it was a little darker then what it was supposed to be it was borderline red ale. I opted for Citra, Amarillo, Falconers Flight vs Centennial.

Is that beer really centennial ? If so I need to start using that hop :)

You can do this all extract without mashing anything. 1.5 lbs of grains is roughly 1lb of DME.

Briess Munich Extract is 50% Base and 50% Munich use 2 lbs of Munich DME and you'll have your 1.5 lbs of Munich. The Crystal 40 at 8oz will give it a nice reddish color. I would drop it back to 5-6 oz because you're beers will be darker because of using extract anyway.

When I brewed my 2 hearted clone I used 3.3lb Munich LME with the rest of the extract being Light, I used crystal 40 as well and thought it was a little darker then what it was supposed to be it was borderline red ale. I opted for Citra, Amarillo, Falconers Flight vs Centennial.

Is that beer really centennial ? If so I need to start using that hop :)

Yes two hearted is an all centennial beer.

I just made an all vienna/centennial SMaSH. Last night after 10 days in primary took a reading, took a sample and threw it in the kegerator to cold crash....tasted great, pretty clear so far, great aroma and hop taste. I cant wait for the finished product.

Yes two hearted is an all centennial beer.

I just made an all vienna/centennial SMaSH. Last night after 10 days in primary took a reading, took a sample and threw it in the kegerator to cold crash....tasted great, pretty clear so far, great aroma and hop taste. I cant wait for the finished product.

I plan on doing almost the same thing this coming weekend. Can't wait.

Yeah it turned out pretty good so far. I kept the IBU's at about 33. 1oz at 60 min and 1oz at 5. I ended up using 2 lbs light DME to boost the OG, as a late addition. This was a PM

Back