two hearted ale = dead ringer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjb999

Reaction score
Many thanks to Billy-Klubb for turning me onto Bells Two Hearted Ale. This brew is FANTASTIC! Feel like I have been on an often meandering quest for the perfect IPA and I've finally found it. Now I must brew it! On Klubb's advice going to try Dear Ringer. Anybody have any opinions or advice? The kit is a little expensive, I don't want to blow like I did my first go.(added candi sugar to jack it up a bit, may have turerd it into paint thinner) THIS INTERNET FORUM IS GREAT!!!!!

Slainte

Are you controlling fermentation temps? Paint thinner sounds like Fusels to me. And yes from my understanding the dead ringer is supposed to be a two hearted clone.

Just me, but I would not Jack up a recipe first time around. But that's just me. If you like BTHA, you will like DR. But also try AHS Kalamazoo Pale Ale (or is it Kzoo IPA). You may want to play around with either after u do them once .. or twice .. or thrice:)

I have been told that candi sugar is a "simple sugar" and may have caused the cider taste. I should have used more hops to jack it up?
Really just wanted a strong taste not more ABV. my LHBS provided what I asked for I just asked for the wrong thing.

Kalamazoo...tomorrows brew.

"A bird with one wing cannot fly"

If you love the BTHA as I do, try the Founders Centennial IPA - very close although the BTH is slightly sweeter. Both are my go-to, but the Bells is where I gravitate.

By the way, a two-hearted clone is my next batch that I will put together with a very knowledgeable local supplier here in Grand Rapids, MI. I can't wait.

If you love the BTHA as I do, try the Founders Centennial IPA - very close although the BTH is slightly sweeter. Both are my go-to, but the Bells is where I gravitate.

By the way, a two-hearted clone is my next batch that I will put together with a very knowledgeable local supplier here in Grand Rapids, MI. I can't wait.

Please share when you do!

If you want to try Dead Ringer but don't want to commit to 5 gallons worth, NB has a 1 gallon version. And, no, I don't work for them...I just ordered the 1 gal kit myself for the very same reason.

you're not making any sense...

Ha! Well, I'm not a total hophead, but I don't mind the occasional IPA. I do have 5 gallons each of a honey porter and a stout sitting around though, with another 5 gal batch of smoked porter to be brewed this weekend (along with the Dead Ringer).

Dead Ringer is a proven quality kit.
i am no hophead, but found it very enjoyable. i don't think you would mind having five gallons of it.
It actually hangs around pretty well for what it is. I was still enjoying it for several months after bottling.

What ever you do don't get lazy with the dry hops and let em sit for over two weeks. Trust me. Also don't have your brother over to help brew for the first time and drink heavily. Neither of those situations equals a good brew.

I have been told that candi sugar is a "simple sugar" and may have caused the cider taste. I should have used more hops to jack it up?
Really just wanted a strong taste not more ABV. my LHBS provided what I asked for I just asked for the wrong thing.

Some of the best advice I got was to just brew it the way it is meant to be brewed first. Once you brew it the way it was meant to be...... THEN decide if it needs to be "jacked up." It is pretty natural to want to experiment with every beer when you start (god knows I did it) - but the people putting together some of these kits and recipes have been brewing for decades and have a wealth of experience and information. Especially kits/recipes as tried and true as Dead Ringer.

How do you know you want a "stronger tasting" beer if you have not brewed it the way it was supposed to be brewed in the first place? And, if you want a stronger tasting beer - buy a kit that is for a stronger tasting beer.

In regard to price - the best way to cut back on price is to buy material in bulk. For instance, you can probably go online and buy a pound of 2012 centennial hops in nitrogen flushed HopUnion bags for cheaper than the 5-6 one ounce packages that go with deadringer kit. Buying ingredients in bulk, and piecing the same recipe together can save a lot of money. Especially if you eventually go all-grain. Northern Brewer posts the recipes with each kit on line, which allows you to put the kit together yourself.

Back