Two Can Stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WyomingBrewer

Reaction score
Saw it mentioned the other day and Im intrigued. So let me verfy the recipe.

1 can Coopers Stout
1 can Coopers Dark Ale
5 gallons water ( this is the part Im most curious of?)
Yeast of choice....Im Thinking racking on a Notty Cake
Condition for ohhhh, lets say 6 months in the bottle?

Hey Wyo,

It really is a good drop after 6 months in a bottle. It's even better after 10 months (not bottles:drunk:).

I make mine up to 23L. I believe this converts to 5.5 gallons.

I find the Cooper's ale yeast that comes with the kit goes very well with stouts. Pitch both (or more) packets. Notto would work fine, I'm sure. I've not used it in a stout before.

Thanks for the reply...figures it would be someone from BC..lol. Found the recipe on an Aussie site after a reference here and they seem to love it over there. Seem to do some other things to it but this is the base right? And doing just this will be good as I read?

Thanks for the reply...figures it would be someone from BC..lol. Found the recipe on an Aussie site after a reference here and they seem to love it over there. Seem to do some other things to it but this is the base right? And doing just this will be good as I read?

:D I might be from BC but I spend a lot of time over in CyberOZ on the Cooper's web site chatting with the blokes downunder.

This recipe really is that easy. Two cans of goo, 23L water, yeast. The real Toucan Stout recipe calls for 1Kg Dextrose but I think this only increases the ABV% to somewhere close to 8%:drunk:. I'm omiting the dex for my next one.

The other thing the Aussie do is use recultured yeast from the dregs of 6 Cooper's Pale Ale in a starter. This addition makes this beer the closest thing the Cooper's Best Extra Stout which is a nice drop! I've got my sarter going for this weekend!:mug:

I just put down my annual Toucan Stout. I went with a can of Cooper's OS Stout and an OS Dark Ale made to 23L with Cooper's re-cultured yeast. Six months or so and she'll be right, mate!:rockin:

Just made up a batch last night...

1can Coopers Irish Stout
1can Coopers Dark Ale
Pitched both yeast packs
approx. 5.5 gallons of water

Maybe it didnt mix well with the water before I took my hydro reading even though I shook the hell outa it. Still, 1.044 seems low for the OG...Oh well, taste is whats important and it will mix during fermentation. What was your OG and expected FG?

Hey Wyo,

Nice timing. We will be able to compare notes on each brew. I've never tried the Irish Stout. I get can't my hands on one around these parts.

My OG was 1.050 @ 23C. It should finish around 1.013-14.

Good luck!

Hah, Ha!

I was just going to add that very note about this recipe. It is a beast! It is not to be taken lightly. USE A BIG FERMENTER!;)

Thinking about adding vanilla before bottling/kegging. You ever modified this and do you think its worth it?

Hi Wyo,

I'd try it without first and then maybe change it up next year. I think the beauty in this one is in the simplicity. Two cans of goo, water, yeast and then stand back! I might add that the extra 1Kg of dex that is in the original recipe really gives it that :drunk: kick that makes it interesting.:tank:

As for vanilla? Never tried it.

I think my local tap water might suit this one well. High pH and disolved minerals.

Good for dark ale, maybe?

I'm putting this toucan together on Monday;

1 can Cooper's English Bitter
1 can of their Amber LME
And just because I have it laying around
1/2 KILO OF THEIR BREW ENHANCER #2 (250g dextrose-125g maltodextrin-125gLME)..

Should give me about 6 gallons of a decent brown session with about 20 or so IBU's.(edit to about 40)
Will know in a month or so..

bosco

Good suggestion...everytime I try to kick things up a notch I end screwing it up. My best beers have been ones that I just followed the directions and didnt try to get fancy.

I'm putting this toucan together on Monday;

1 can Cooper's English Bitter
1 can of their Amber LME
And just because I have it laying around
1/2 KILO OF THEIR BREW ENHANCER #2 (250g dextrose-125g maltodextrin-125gLME)..

Should give me about 6 gallons of a decent brown session with about 20 or so IBU's.(edit to about 40)
Will know in a month or so..

bosco

Hey Bosco,

I really like the Coooper's English Bitter Kit. Infact it makes a pretty good Toucan brew combined with the Coop's OS Stout and some smoked malt. My favourite recipe using the E. Bitter kit goes like this:

(Converted from metric)

Parsontown Porter
3.3 lbs. Coop's E. Bitter
1.25 lbs Amber LME
.4 lbs Molasses
.33 lbs. Carapils
.33 lbs Pale Chocolate malt
2 oz. Roasted Barley
.4 oz. N. Brewer's (15mins)
.4 oz. EKG (10mins)
.2 oz N. Brewer's(5mins, 0mins)
.2oz. EKG (5mins,0mins)
11g Notto
5 gallons water

Hey Wyo,

Good call on the vanilla!;)

Thinking about adding vanilla before bottling/kegging. You ever modified this and do you think its worth it?

Hey there,

I was lucky enough to talk with Jim Koch the other day and mentioned the chocolate stout I built.

He said adding a 1/4 tsp (but adjust to taste) of vanilla extract would help the chocolate flavor pop. But about the chocolate, he said to add coco nibs after the fermentation had finished and leave that to sit for two weeks. After the two weeks on chocolate, add the vanilla and keg or bottle.

I hope this helps. Jim was a very nice guy. Very ready with a tip and a shake of my hand.

I am only 5 brews into my adult career, so I have a lot of studying to do.

for those who have this brewing
my first brew of stout the guy in the HBS told me when doing a coopers irish stout to always use 3/4 can lme. im not sure why not the full can, i used the full can. unfortunately i only put 3.5 oz dextrose for bottling and its flat as a pancake. only my 2nd or 3rd brew. i have to say it does taste nice and roasted and its not too bitter. i thought the guy in the HBS was just trying to sell me more crap but now i feel better about it.
as for the vanilla suggestion do a search for irish car bomb on this site, it looks f*&kin lovely. have to try it

Back