two beers, one mash, with acidulated Qs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
Hey all, I am headed toward doing a 10g ag batch this weekend that I want to split into 2 5g batches: one will be a ginger beer akin to the "third place" recipe that is floating around on the site and the other will be a pear-y lightly hopped light beer that will allow me to get rid of about 3 gallons of pears I harvested and froze.

My main Questions are these: Do you have any tried and true light bodied ale recipes that use acidulated malt?

I was thinking that the use of acid malt in the mash (mashed a couple of days before) would provide a nice backbone to the sweetness and flavor of the pears as well as for the ginger heat and bite in the other beer. Any thoughts there?

~Mike~

The applicability of acid malt use in any beer is dependent upon the water you're using. If you have moderately to very alkaline water, acid malt use is welcome. If you're brewing with water with low alkalinity (ie RO or distilled water), then you might end up pushing the mash pH and resulting wort pH too low. If that's not your goal, then you might want to back off the acid malt.

Latest posts

Back