two beers, one boil...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanneltrees804

Reaction score
Planning on brewing a 10 gallon batch in a few days and wanted to split the wort (post boil and chilling) into two fermenters and pitch different yeast. The goal is to make 5 gallons of saison and 5 of a wheat beer. Recipe isn't finished but the idea is as follows...

10 gallon batch
50% pils
50% wheat
handful of rice hulls

mash at 152 for 60min, batch sparge

60 min boil, all EKG hops
2oz at 60min, the rest later in the boil

chill to 65* and pitch kolsch yeast in one and 3711 in the other, ferment the kolsch on the cooler side and ramp up the 3711 to 90* over a 10 day period.

What do you think? Have you tried this? Suggestions?

I've heard of a lot of split batches like this done for experimental reasons. For example, to test how two different beers would come out when they're both the same wort but fermented with different yeast strains.

For me personally, I'd probably add a little bit of spice to a saison but you could always do it by adding a tea to the fermenter later on. I'm curious to find out what you learn from this. Sounds fun.

Saisons I've done in the past had no spices added and I loved them. I'm doing this for less experimental reasons and more for "making the most of my brew time" reasons.

I will post my results when I have them. I figure a kolsch and saison yeast are so different no one would know its the same wort but they are both great summer beers.

I'm doing this right now. I've done it with different yeasts, and with different flameout hops. It's an excellent way to compare two different ingredients and/or to diversify your drinking options.

3711 doesn't need extreme temps the way 3724 does; room temp is fine. That having been said, I made a saison with 3711 in my Texas garage last year, and it turned out fine.

Back