TWINS! Tales of first batches with n00b questions at the end

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ninkasi70

Reaction score
Last fall my Roommate decided that he was going to make hard cider. Food grade buckets were ordered, airlocks and bungs were obtained. Several trips to the world's least friendly HB store occurred. Also made a trip to the grocery store. We began with Tree Top apple juice and mulled it with cinnamon, cloves, ginger, cardamom and slices of Granny Smith for about 10 hours. While that was stinking up the kitchen we made starters with WPL 775 and Red Star (dry) Champagne yeasts.

On Nov 17 we pitched twin buckets:

Bucket 1:
5 Gal Mulled Apple Juice
Red Star Champagne yeast
OG 1.052

Bucket 2:
5 Gal Mulled Apple Juice
WPL 775 "English Cider" yeast
OG 1.052

Nov 29
The twins were kept under the kitchen table, which is has a floor length black table cloth on it. It was 57-62 degrees under there. After 12 days fermenting the twins dropped to a SG of 1.008. Bucket 1 (Champagne) was really active with lots of surface colonies and a lot of fine bubbles, it was lighter in color and cloudy as hell compared to its twin. Bucket 2 (WPL 775) was also active, but nothing that looked like kreuzen, and hazy but not really cloudy. It kept its dark color (from the spice mulling).

Dec 1
We sampled again and the ciders had dropped to SG 1.004. We taste tested. Bucket 1 (champagne) was more sour to me, and had really muddy flavors. Apple, some spice and some odd esters that I figured came with putting spices through fermentation. Bucket 2 (WPL 775) had nice clean, bright flavors, but also some of the weird esters/flavors. The Roommate called it apple & beer. He also thought that it wasn't as sweet tasting as Bucket 1, even though they had the same SG of 1.004. At this time the Roommate thought they weren't boozy enough, so we added 2C of light turbinado sugar to each bucket. Did we then take another SG reading? No, no we did not. The twins went back under the kitchen table were they sat undisturbed under airlocks.

Some time in early January
Not liking the cloudiness of Bucket 1, Roommate paper filtered the heck out of it, but I don't think he racked it off the lees. Definitely didn't take a FG reading, though I suspect all that sugar is gone, baby gone. After filtering he racked the cider to the 1 gal plastic jugs the apple juice was sold in, one of which he put in the freezer hoping to trap the suspended particulate in the ice.

Jan 30
Freezer bottle is frozen solid. I inverted it over a bowl and collected about 750 ml of fluid. Sonofabugger, it is still pretty darn cloudy. We taste test. It tastes better than it did on Dec 1. But I feel like the flavors are still muddy and it still has a lot of the weird esters and flavors that it's had all along. I also paper filter the heck out of it, and then decanted to a clean bottle and put it in the fridge. We put the rest of the jugs in the freezer.

Feb 1
Roommate partially defrosted a jug and pulls about 750 ml. He puts this in a couple of little tupperware type containers and puts them in the fridge. One of them developed weird clouds which I asked about in my thread "So what is that in my cider?" https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/so-what-my-cider-224887/
It's still in the fridge. Clouds haven't changed in size. Still creepy looking. Still smells fine. It is really clear though, finally.

Feb 7
Roommate defrosted the rest of the frozen bottles and took what he wanted. I wasn't home, so I all I know is that there are 3 more glass bottles in the fridge. Some of them have cloudiness at the bottom(similar to the giant clouds in the one container), but are otherwise perfectly clear. The bottle I filtered on Jan 30 never cleared up.

Bucket 1 final outcome:
3 750ml bottles of perfectly clear fluid the color of dark apple juice. I don't taste much in the way of apple fruit flavors. The spice notes are still there, as is a faint caramel taste. It sort of reminds me of grappa, but without the burning sensation.

Feb 13
Went to the hardware supply and bought 5' of skinny vinyl tubing. Sanitized the remaining apple juice jugs and the tubing and finally racked Bucket 2 to the plastic jugs. FG is .996. While this was the better cider back in December, it tastes pretty different now. No sugar left, no real apple flavors left, but the weird spice notes that have been there all along are still there along with a slight "brown apple" oxidized taste. For now it'll sit in the fridge to see if I can get the yeast to drop. Then we'll rack back to the fermentation bucket. After that I'm not sure what to do with it. Bottle? Roommate wants to freeze it so that he can compare it to its twin, apples to apples as it were.

Questions

Could there still be any yeast activity in the brandy-like stuff from bucket one?
(These bottles have never been brought up to room temperature, and I think most of the yeast remained trapped in the ice when we froze it. It's currently in port bottles with corks in the fridge.)

Are these batches just young, and will they improve with age? If so what should be done with the brandy-like cider in the glass bottles and the unfinished cider in the plastic jugs? Our best storage area is the "fermenting room" under the kitchen worktable. Temps there will remain around 62 probably until April where they'll bump to 66 and stay like that most of the year, until late fall when they'll drop to 57 until we turn on the heat.

Should we have topped up the buckets to lid level with plain apple juice on Dec 1? Otherwise, how do you get a layer of CO2 into your container headspace - do I buy a soda siphon and those little cartridges?

I don't have a clue what you have. Sounds awful.

Probably the biggest mistake was letting it sit for 10 hours with the spices before adding the yeast. Probably got some bacteria in there that had a chance to get established before the yeast started creating alcohol.

Next time, just make straight cider; juice + yeast, and maybe a few ozs of sugar to get around 1.060 OG. Then let it ferment out.

If you want to add spices, and I don't know why you would, steep them in a small amount of vodka, and then add that to the fermented cider.

that was surreal

i kind of lost the plot at the fourth freezer bottle and the part about tubing, but can i add to calder's advice: straight juice (did you cook the juice? don't cook the juice!) + yeast + don't futz around with it until it'd done

Yep... That's what happens when you just won't let well enough alone!

When it won't clear forever and keeps throwing bubbles for weeks and weeks and weeks... It's a malo-lactic fermentation... It needs warmish room temperatures - not fridge temps.... Gently stir the lees with a rod 1x or so a week during active malo-lactic fermentation to speed it up a bit.... When it stops bubbling and the sediment starts to drop out - quit fooling with it and just let it clear....

The turbinado/brown sugar is what gave it the carmelly/molassesy flavor....

I second the motion to try it again... but this time - just leave well enough alone! No spices, no extra sugar, no cooking unless you are bottle pasteurizing... Use some Campden (Sulphite) to sterilize your juice and pectic enzyme to get rid of the clumpy pectin.... If you want it stronger and more tart - freeze about 50% of the water out of the juice before fermentation... or start with Apple Juice Concentrate mixed with 50% of the required water....

Then, once you've got your clear hard cider - you can try mulling it or sweetening it or whatever you want to do... It's a bit easier to control the outcome (And especially the spice levels) when you warm it up, spice it, sweeten it, then drink it....

Thanks

Heh. Well technically this wasn't my project. My roommate is kind of a surreal dude. Sometimes he has awesome ideas, sometimes not so much. I think he thought spice flavors added at the beginning would come through fermentation and taste pretty much the same. I was kind of just along for the ride, but I'm more willing to admit I don't know what I'm doing and look stuff up.

There seem to be plenty of recipes and questions about adding spices so I know this isn't a new idea. I'm just trying to figure out what to do with the 6 gallons of this stuff that we have laying around.

I do actually have my own batch going.

5 gallons of juice that I sweetened to 1.080 (Aiming for a slightly sweet 10.5% ABV, still apple wine). It's on it's 15th day of fermentation. and the SG has dropped to about 1.025. I figure it'll be done in about 4 days and then I'll put it into secondary.

Good to know about the malolactic fermentation, that's useful. Thanks.

well... The easiest thing to do with the stuff in bottles in the fridge is.... pour really slow.... You want to pour slow and carefully - avoid stirring up the glop in the bottom of the bottles.... Drink and enjoy.

The other 6-gallons..... Safest thing to do is to carefully rack it off the lees, add some pectic enzyme, and just let it sit a while to age out.... Age is going to take the edge off the spices and kinda let the flavors mellow out a bit.... Then.. Encourage your friend to drink it....

On your own batch.... Unless you put some non-fermentable sugar in it or have a yeast that conks out around 10%... it will go completely dry if you let it.... Most ale yeasts will run to 14% or so before they conk out....

If I was you - I would start tasting the stuff you made.... Does it have enough tartness? Does it have a decent apple flavor? Frequently, store apple juice ferments out to apple scented alcoholic dishwater.... It just doesn't have the level of acid in it that you would have thought it would.... but you don't notice it till the sugar is completely gone.... You are expecting a nice *Cidery* tang to it and you get alcoholic water that smells like apples...

Thanks

Ahh. I knew I was going to run into timing problems. I just checked the gallon bottles that are cold crashing in the fridge. The plastic isn't clear enough to see whether the yeast dropped out of suspension or not. That stuff better drop quick if it knows what's good for it!

I think my batch is going to be done in a couple of days. It's down to 1.022 and I'm thinking I'm going to want to halt it between 1.010 and 1.015. I figure I'll know it when I taste it. I see what you mean about the insipid flavors. Right now it's about equal parts regular apple, and sour apple (what I associate with a jolly rancher), but neither flavor is super strong. The flavors are clean, bright and fresh. I can also taste the alcohol, which should be about 7.5-8% right now, given the amount of sugar I dumped in. Quite honestly, I like it as is, and I'd drink this fresh, if well-chilled, well after the sugar drops a little more. It's still too sweet for me.

What I'm thinking I'll want to do in about 2 days time is rack the RoommateRotgut to a clean bucket and top off with some fresh juice so it doesn't oxidize any more than it already has. I may try to use some soda siphon cartridges in my whipped cream dispenser to shoot a layer of CO2 into the top of the bucket, on the off chance that the high ABV of that batch killed off the yeast, or too much was removed after racking to restart enough fermentation to make it's own CO2 layer.

Then I'll use the 1 gal containers to cold crash my own stuff, before I rack it to a secondary bucket.

I'm also wondering if maybe that RoommateRotgut isn't contaminated with acetyl acetate. I searched the nail polish flavor and found an old post that suggested you can get this from stressed yeast and oxygenation.

We fermented that batch at temps about 10 degrees lower than standard for the yeast strain, and we never compensated for sample draws by topping up. If that's the case it seems like the post I read said you could force carb, then degas, then force carb and degas to blow off the contamination.

Does any part of the above seem reasonable?

Not really... There is a common misconception that yeast are killed by cold crashing.. Not so - they just go dormant... It temporarily stops fermentation and a good deal of the yeast settles out.... If you cold crash and rack into a warm secondary - it will likely restart as soon as it warms back up again.... It will just start back up slowly.... but off it will go again....

Read the stickies and posts on here about cold crashing, stove top pasteurizing, etc.... Follow those directions... Have your beer bottles cleaned and ready to go when it's cold crashed - rack into bottles, cap, and pasteurize on the stove..... That will keep it from kicking back over and off to the races again...

Thanks

Back