Tweaking a Too Sweet Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonathanchapman1

Reaction score
I made an oatmeal stout, recipe here:http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewrecipe/640165/coconut-vanilla-berbere-stout

OG was 1.093, FG was 1.021. 5 gallons into the keg. All equipment has been calibrated so I'm confident in the numbers, and that fermentation was complete
Used US-05 (actually 2 packs, ignore what the link says), got 76% attenuation

Tasted before kegging (or adding coconut or vanilla or lactose), and flavor was spot on. It was a bit high on the bitterness, which is what i was hoping for, due to the added items i knew were coming.

SO I added 0.5 lbs of lactose in at kegging, along with 2 vanilla beans and 1 lbs. of coconut

Tasted yesterday, and though still not carbonated, this stout is now WAY too sweet. I think oatmeal + lactose + vanilla = sugar bomb

What are your thoughts on tweaking by adding in coffee? I know, i have probably added too much, but this beer was freaking awesome before I messed it up... Should I do a cold press or just brew a pot of coffee and dump it in? French roast? Any ideas are appreciated!!!

I'd try the coffee on a small scale to see if you like the effect and to determine how much you'd need for the whole batch. Really what I'd probably do, though, is brew another batch of the stout and blend them.

I agree, blending would be best, but I am hoping to have this ready to serve by next weekend, so I won't have time :smack:

I actually blended the glass last night with another stout (not mine) that I was drinking, and it was exactly what I was hoping for

I'll try the coffee in a glass to see how it goes; do you think hot or cold brewed would be better?

I know cold brew is amazing because it reduces the bitterness of the coffee, but maybe in this case I WANT the bitterness? Only way to know is to try it, maybe?

Thanks for the suggestions!

So I let it carb up and kept sampling - I think what happened is that because I added the lactose at kegging and not boil, (based on the mad fermentationists suggestion), a lot of the lactose settled out. So the first pour or 2 were pure sugar. It now tastes perfect! Could also be the carbonation cut the sweetness as well. Just wanted to update this in case anyone did something similar. Cheers!

Adding some bourbon or other spirit too it would prob help cut the sweetness as well.

Latest posts

Back