tweak Porter recipe? oak?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ersheff

Reaction score
Hello.
I'm going to pick up ingredients for this porter recipe from the LHBS:
10# Gold malt extract
1 oz Nugget hops
1 oz. Perle hops
steeping grains
1# Crystal malt (120L)
8oz Munich malt
8oz Vienna malt
8oz Chocolate malt
4oz Black malt
4oz Roast Barley
This is going to be a bit of a surprise for my girlfriend, who is coming back from Ireland in mid-December for a few weeks and loves porters.
I want to make this extra special for her, so I'm thinking of doing a 5-7 day bourbon soak for 1-2 oz of oak chips, then adding those to the fermenter for a week or so after primary fermentation.
Homebrew shop guy says it will start around 1.08 and end in the 1.025 range. ABV around 7.5%. Seems like a fairly high OG and FG to me. A good, malty, fairly sweet beer.
I'm guessing that this is a good candidate for aging and that the moderately high ABV will help extract flavor compounds from the oak. Any other advice in this regard?
Thanks.

Brew immediately! Could be pushing it to be ready Christmas! As you said, with high ABV and bourbon/oak, aging is your friend here and cannot be rushed.

Will you be kegging? If not, I really don't think you'll be done in time. If you have standard 3 weeks of bottle conditioning, that only leaves a week and a half for fermentation...

That said, your your oak/bourbon plan (volumes & timing) looks good. I'd scale back on the Crystal 120 - maybe go 1/2# or even 1/4# 120 and 1/2# 40.

I'd take out the roasted barley and just go with everything else. It will be plenty dark between the chocolate and the black malt. Plus it will be a more traditional porter recipe without the roasted barley.

I like the Nugget for bittering, but I would use something like Goldings or Fuggles for a small 20 minute addition.
Go simple on the steeping grains-drop the Munich and Vienna, as noted above they need to be mashed. Increase the black malt to 6 ozs and drop the roasted barley.

Back