Turning on boil kettle during continuous sparge???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walfy10

Reaction score
So I just started turning up my boil kettle on low during my sparge and my beers are finishing a lot higher than expected. Does anyone else do this or do you collect about half of the wort and then fire it up? I.E I made an Irish Red that was 1.046 was about 80% base 20% specialty grains mashed at 153F and the final gravity was 1.020. This seems way too high to me. Its not overly sweet at all but does have a really thick body.

You are draining into your boil kettle during the sparge and then at some point turning the heat while continuing to sparge?

This shouldnt change your FG unless you are boiling for the entire duration of the sparge and are starting with a higher OG than your yeast can handle.

I generally wait until half way through to turn my element on but that is just because it takes 20 minutes to finish may sparge and reach a boil right when I'm done sparging.

I would check your mash thermometer calibration.

I apply heat to the kettle as soon as I have a couple of inches collected. I keep the heat adjusted to about 190F. After about 1/2 full I apply full heat. Checking your kettle full ("pre boil") gravity will tell you whether you need to dilute or boil longer.

Back