Turning on and off electric element safely?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldStone

Reaction score
So I think I have the dryer outlet set up figured out. My next question is if I am just changing the breaker in my box as my GFCI set up how am I turning on and off the element? I don't think pulling plug in and out is very safe or efficient. Ideally I would like a simple set up. I really don't need it to be automated because I have a thermometer built into my pot. My question is I don't know how I could control the boil without it being automated. I have an 8 gallon pot with 5500w element. I am worried that boil would be to rigorous if just left on the whole boil? Is that a valid concern? And I also don't want to sit and micro manage the boil turning on and off the element manually for 60/90 minutes so it may be easier to do simple automated. Any thoughts are appreciated.

I built a little controller for my kettle using an Arduino and a solid state relay (SSR) - it has a knob which controls how much power I want. If the knob is at 40% then the element goes on for 0.8 seconds then off for 1.2 seconds. Works really great. Requires maybe $15 worth of parts off Aliexpress and a plywood box.

However DIY devices using mains power isn't for everyone since you can kill yourself. So maybe there is an off the shelf unit that does something similar, I'm not sure.

So I think I have the dryer outlet set up figured out. My next question is if I am just changing the breaker in my box as my GFCI set up how am I turning on and off the element? I don't think pulling plug in and out is very safe or efficient. Ideally I would like a simple set up. I really don't need it to be automated because I have a thermometer built into my pot. My question is I don't know how I could control the boil without it being automated. I have an 8 gallon pot with 5500w element. I am worried that boil would be to rigorous if just left on the whole boil? Is that a valid concern? And I also don't want to sit and micro manage the boil turning on and off the element manually for 60/90 minutes so it may be easier to do simple automated. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Your right,
Youll want something to control the output of the element of it will be a crazy vigorous boil and you wont be able to control your boiloff rate... all you need though is a simple pwm or ssvr setup like the stilldragon kit or one of the other options ... this kit has everything you need except the cord and plug you could get at the home depot. to build a controller with a knob to control the intensity of your element..
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/diy-small-controller.html its very popular and has been around a long time. your setup would work just like a stovetop.

Your right,
Youll want something to control the output of the element of it will be a crazy vigorous boil and you wont be able to control your boiloff rate... all you need though is a simple pwm or ssvr setup like the stilldragon kit or one of the other options ... this kit has everything you need except the cord and plug you could get at the home depot. to build a controller with a knob to control the intensity of your element..
http://stilldragon.com/index.php/diy-small-controller.html its very popular and has been around a long time. your setup would work just like a stovetop.

You can also modify the StillDragon kit a bit, and add a contactor (30A capable relay) to give a positive on/off switch in addition to the power control - buy the larger box if you want to do that, or use an SSVR and pot from a different source and a larger box than StillDragon sell.

The circuit I built is laid out in this post. I think I worked out that the StillDragon kit was still worth it over sourcing things like cable glands separately.

Your right,

Thank you very much!! Just ordered it. Perfect for my needs for now and couldn't find a cheaper option. Thanks again!!!

Back