Turkey frying??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbriscoe

Reaction score
I've never done one before, but I have a 21 lb i'd like to fry on Monday morning. It seems most fry kettles from Academy are 7.5 gallons and hold birds up to 18 pounds.

I don't have one of those so I was planning to use my 10 gallon stainless steel brew kettle on a propane fryer base and I have a 4 1/2 gallon jug of peanut oil from Sam's Club.

Has anyone used a kettle this big before? And do youforesee any issues? When I took the still wrapped bird into the kettle in water to thaw, it lies flat on the breast instead of upright, but I suppose this is OK as long as I use the right amount of oil?

3 gallons of water was enough to cover the bird although in the wrapper it floats.

You are good to go..
Calculate your cooking time and thats it.
Try to keep your oil up in temperature when you first set the bird in the oil.
I cook a 14# bird in 50 to 55 minutes so 4 minutes a pound.
1 thing to remember make sure there is no ice or water in the bird when you give it the big dip. Get it in the oil and the lid on and you should be good to go.

Good Luck and Good Eating.

Putting oil in your brew kettle may contaminate it. I'd be Hesitant to do it myself. Residual oil/fat will ruin head retention. Your mileage may vary, but I'd probably look for an inexpensive aluminum pot from a restaurant supply store.

Putting oil in your brew kettle may contaminate it. I'd be Hesitant to do it myself. Residual oil/fat will ruin head retention. Your mileage may vary, but I'd probably look for an inexpensive aluminum pot from a restaurant supply store.

It can be cleaned. We have the technology.

I'm a big fan of fried turkey, but I've smoked a whole turkey twice now, and it's my favorite way to cook turkey now. Planning a big turkey smoke for Thanksgiving

I'd check the water level again once again the turkey is thawed, unwrapped, and any extras like the neck and giblets are removed. Also, you may have one but didn't mention it in your post, you need the insert that goes in the turkey and a hook to pull the cooked turkey out or a frying/steaming basket.
I like to cook several turkeys in the following 4 or 5 weeks after the first one since the peanut oil is not cheap and will go bad eventually. That way it reduces the oil cost per turkey.

Back