Turkey Fryer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vlesperance

Reaction score
Gathering equipment to do all grain. Was about to buy my first turkey fryer, when suddenly, like magic, there was one on the side of the road, like prime roadkill.

I ran it for 10 minutes and it seems to work fine. I just to make sure its not defective in some way.

1. How long does it take a normal fryer to bring 6 gallons to a boil?

This one seemed to raise 6 gallons of water by 3*F every minute (40*F outside). So, I'm guessing (212 - 152)/3 is roughly 20 minutes for mine.

How many batches(5gallon)/hours before you refill a 20 lb tank?

Just want to make sure this one is in the ballpark. Thanks. Also, any fryer/propane advice you have for a noob is appreciated.

Dude, the fryer is perfect! I use a bayou classic.

Damn its cold in Michigan! It was F*%king Spring in S. Carolina last week, seriously it was in the 70's all week. you may think I'm bragging, but I want it to get cold, our blistering summer seriously lasts for about 9 months down here.

This fryer was a "master built." It looked really old. I typed the model number into seach engines and nothing came back, so I'm assuming pretty old. At least it had no timers or safety devices.

I should probably have said 20 min. to bring wort (already 152*) to boil. (or that might have been obvious). Probably 40 min. to bring warm tap water to boil.

How many batches do you guys tend to get out of one tank?

Back