Turkey Fryer Modification Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

born3z

Reaction score
I just bought a 10.5gal brew kettle to replace the 7gal pot that came with my turkey fryer. The stand for the burner has a ring on it that is made for the original pot to sit in (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about). The problem is, my new kettle doesn't fit inside the ring so it is raised about two inches higher than it should be. I brewed my first batch with it this weekend and it took about an hour and twenty minutes to reach a boil rather than the 45 or 50 minutes it took with the old kettle. My question is, can I cut the ring off with out compromising the integrity of the stand? Has anyone tried it? I don't have a welder or I would cut the ring off and slide it down and then weld it back on. If anyone has done this or has any thoughts, I'd sure like to hear what you think.

I just realized that I'm in the same boat. :cross: Mine's only 1/2" and it has that stupid safety button at the bottom where the pot sits on. I'll have to override that.

Can you move the burner up? What about cutting, drilling and fastening with screws or wire?

Post a pic for better help.

This is the ring I'm talking about. I want to cut it off so only the bent metal pieces will be holding the pot. Bad idea or no big deal? I'm sure the burner could be raised but I wouldn't know how to go about it. I'm not the craftiest when it comes to stuff like that.

ForumRunner_20120111_165039.jpg

[Bo][Rn][Ez];3653661 said:
This is the ring I'm talking about. I want to cut it off so only the bent metal pieces will be holding the pot. Bad idea or no big deal? I'm sure the burner could be raised but I wouldn't know how to go about it. I'm not the craftiest when it comes to stuff like that.

why not just reverse that whole ring so those half circles are on TOP of the black ring. or mount the half circles on the top of the ring. i think that'd eliminate the problem of the kettle not fitting.

Um, bad idea. Without that ring to keep it from sliding off your fryer full of hot wort is going to spill somewhere. I hope you and I aren't there.

Surely you must have a welding shop in town that could fabricate something safer.

why not just reverse that whole ring so those half circles are on TOP of the black ring. or mount the half circles on the top of the ring. i think that'd eliminate the problem of the kettle not fitting.

The half circles are welded to the wind shroud part. If it was bolted on, I'd give it a shot.

Um, bad idea. Without that ring to keep it from sliding off your fryer full of hot wort is going to spill somewhere. I hope you and I aren't there.

Surely you must have a welding shop in town that could fabricate something safer.

I brewed this weekend with the kettle sitting on top of the ring itself so, I'm not sure if it would really be any less safe if it wasn't there. Maybe I'm just a mad man?!

If you remove the whole ring and fasten it lower on the legs, it might work then but could weaken it a little.

Another thought is to get 4 cinder blocks, cut them to the right height, and throw on a weber grill and cut the whole ring out all together. I'm thinking out loud:rockin:

Personally I find it kinda hard to move a kettle with 5-6 gallons of liquid in it. It isn't like a light breeze is gonna send it flying across the yard.

[Bo][Rn][Ez];3653705 said:
The half circles are welded to the wind shroud part. If it was bolted on, I'd give it a shot.

i think another poster mentioned taking it to a local metal shop. if it were me, i'd do it myself, but i'm not recommending taking on welding if you've never done it. i'm sure you know someone, or there's a local shop that could handle the weld. shouldn't cost much nor take very long.

If you remove the whole ring and fasten it lower on the legs, it might work then but could weaken it a little.

Another thought is to get 4 cinder blocks, cut them to the right height, and throw on a weber grill and cut the whole ring out all together. I'm thinking out loud:rockin:

That's something I never thought of. If I could find something that is the right height, it might work. Wouldn't even need to be cinder blocks really.

i think another poster mentioned taking it to a local metal shop. if it were me, i'd do it myself, but i'm not recommending taking on welding if you've never done it. i'm sure you know someone, or there's a local shop that could handle the weld. shouldn't cost much nor take very long.

I can weld and would prefer to do it that way, I just don't have direct access to a welder. I could take it to a shop and will if I have to but, you know, I'm cheap and would rather spend money on ingredients. If I have to, I will. Still wondering if anyone has cut the ring off without any issues?

[Bo][Rn][Ez];3653783 said:
I can weld and would prefer to do it that way, I just don't have direct access to a welder. I could take it to a shop and will if I have to but, you know, I'm cheap and would rather spend money on ingredients. If I have to, I will. Still wondering if anyone has cut the ring off without any issues?

not to push the point, but home depot rents things like that. probably wouldn't cost too much to rent it for the time it would take, plus the deposit, but you get that back.

not to push the point, but home depot rents things like that. probably wouldn't cost too much to rent it for the time it would take, plus the deposit, but you get that back.

Haha, that makes me laugh because the thought of renting one never crossed my mind for a second. Such a simple solution to the whole dilemma. Thanks for the suggestion. If I can't get it done for free, I'll go that route. :mug:

So are we sure that the extra time to boil here is a result of the added distance, and notr because the pot dimensions have changed and (I assume) you're boiling more liquid?

Rather than taking a chance on compromising your integrity I would have a local welder shop make the mod and toughen it up all around. You do not want a 5 gallon tsunami rolling around on you floor especially if it is boiling. I used to be a happy go lucky take a chance kind of guy, but getting older has hipped me to the idea I am NOT going to live forever and I am NOT armor plated, so I had better look out for myself since nobody else is. Call me a fuddy duddy, but I would weld it for you for free just to keep you from getting scalded. Might offer the welder a taste of you labor and see if he wont trade the service for more samples too.
Bob

I just bought a 10.5gal brew kettle to replace the 7gal pot that came with my turkey fryer. The stand for the burner has a ring on it that is made for the original pot to sit in (I'm sure you all know what I'm talking about). The problem is, my new kettle doesn't fit inside the ring so it is raised about two inches higher than it should be. I brewed my first batch with it this weekend and it took about an hour and twenty minutes to reach a boil rather than the 45 or 50 minutes it took with the old kettle. My question is, can I cut the ring off with out compromising the integrity of the stand? Has anyone tried it? I don't have a welder or I would cut the ring off and slide it down and then weld it back on. If anyone has done this or has any thoughts, I'd sure like to hear what you think.

Back