Turkey fryer and extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jragon

Reaction score
I have to move my operation indoors. Not going to get into details, but I also brew exclusively "kit beer", extract kits that is. I have a couple businesses and a toddler. Some day I will go all grain etc etc. oh, and I will also golf someday.
Anyway, all the threads I read about the electric fryers all talk about @5 gallon" boils. I always boil the typical 1.5-2.5 gallons that I am told to boil with the directions that come with my extract kits. It should e pretty easy to boil 2 gallons then right? Does anyone do this??

Short answer is you'll be absolutely fine.

Longer answer is having a 5 gal pot will be heaps for extract kit / partial mash boils where you're topping the fermenter off with half the water And only boiling 1.5-3gal.
If you think you will want to branch out into BIAB or larger than 5gal batches you will need a 10gal pot as a minimum.

Edit: doing smaller batches in big pots is totally fine, you just need to allow for higher evaporation %'s

Your turkey fryer will be fine for the batches you want to do. I have a 7.5gallon turkey fryer I use and I can get away with full volume boils for a 5gallon batch with my fryer pot. If your going to go full volume boils invest in fermcap S it saves alot of hassles from boil overs worth its weight in gold just from the few times I've used it.

To answer your question though you should have no problems using your pot to do extract batches and topping up in the fermenter.

Edit: I also brew indoor on my stovetop (electric) and can get full 6.5gallons to boil.

This is awesome. Ok. I'm gonna do it. Any suggestions of brand? Prob gonna go with the Cajun injector. Anyone have a fav? Or a least fav?

Not even sure what brand mine was.

Got it from walmart for like 35$ came with pot, burner, thermometer, basket, and a couple other things. I was only really interested in the pot but burner is nice if I decide to go outdoor with propane.

Back