Turbo yeast still really sweet after 2 weeks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joentuff

Reaction score
Ok I used 3 gallons of Motts apple juice and 17.5lbs of cane sugar with 3gallons of water, heated the water and slowly added the sugar till it was all dissolved. Cooled to 75, then stired like crazy to get it well airated, then added the "turbo yeast" and stired for another min. Here's the problem, I have stired it a few times like it says to do, but it's still really sweat. Haven't checked the gravity yet but it can't be right. Any ideas?

If my bad math is right, that's like 2-3 cups of sugar per gallon... going to take the yeast a while to work on that... sounds like you could end up 15% with enough time. What was OG?

I followed the instructions for 20%, usually I never really care about how strong it is, but this is just all for fun, I have heard of people doing just what I did and it being done in 5!!! Days, just think I did something wrong

Turbo yeast usually makes about 18% ABV with 8kg of sugar in a 25L brew.

Even turbo yeast can have a bad week. Shooting for very high ABV, it's a good idea to step the sugar, rather than adding it all in one batch. I did than for my blackberry wine and even so, it's still fermenting after 40 days.

Back