Tupelo Honey Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easyT

Reaction score
:confused:My first batch of tupelo mead is telling me something, but I don't know what?
Mixed 9/12/11. Racked 10/2/11, with 6 sec. Percolation. Racked into carboy 10/14/11, when only 1 bubble @ 4 min. Placed plastic sandwich bag and rubberband over airlock to test for CO2 escape, can't see any bag expanding. All sediment is out but still a little cloudy. Tested at 1.012 and is tasty. Evaporation collecting on top carboy now. Is this not good and can I age it in place and wait for clarifying or add agents and bottle now. DON'T want to ruin it at this point.
Any thoughts anyone?

My first batch of tupelo mead is telling me something, but I don't know what?
Mixed 9/12/11. Racked 10/2/11, with 6 sec. Percolation. Racked into carboy 10/14/11, when only 1 bubble @ 4 min. Placed plastic sandwich bag and rubberband over airlock to test for CO2 escape, can't see any bag expanding. All sediment is out but still a little cloudy. Tested at 1.012 and is tasty. Evaporation collecting on top carboy now. Is this not good and can I age it in place and wait for clarifying or add agents and bottle now. DON'T want to ruin it at this point.
Any thoughts anyone?

Well, if it's got to a level of sweetness you like, then you can rack it off any sediment onto sulphite/sorbate, to stabilise it, then just let it be as it will clear and drop sediment over time.

Or you can add the sulphite/sorbate combo to stabilise it and then give it a day and gently stir in some finings of some sort. Just follow the instructions on the pack.

You might want to try bentonite, or sparkolloid if you can get it (it's not available here), as they're both (apparently) quite gentle finings.

Though just as easily, you could use one of the 24/48 hour, 2 part finings for quicker results.

It's fair to point out, that it's entirely dependant on how much honey/starting gravity and the yeast used, because a lot of people would consider this a stuck ferment (materials above to consider), but I like my meads about the 1.010 area so it'd be fine for me.

most clarifying agents will tell you to wait at least a month before bottling. how much head space do you have in your secondary? IMO, you shouldn't have enough space to see evaporation (condensation) in your fermenter. what was your starting gravity? what yeast did you use?

don't rush it. let it clear on it's own. depending on what you made (ingriedients etc) you might be okay at 6 months. unless it's JAO, it won't be ready before three months, six at the most.

:confused:My first batch of tupelo mead is telling me something, but I don't know what?
Any thoughts anyone?

You racked it 3 weeks after fermentation started? And then racked again 2 weeks later? What batch size are we talking about here?

Back