tubo yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamk222

Reaction score
i went to my home brew store and saw a huge bage of yeast called turbo yeast abd it says in it yhat it will produce 14%abv in 48 houres and 20%abv n like 60 houres has anyone used it or heard anything abought it was thinking of trying it on a batch of mead or barly wine

Distiller's yeasts can be used for high gravity ales, but you have to keep the fermenter cool (around 60F works well). Those 48-60 hour ferment times are at 80F of higher and you will get loads of fuesel alcohols and other foul tasting stuff.

Just for grins I tested Turbo Yeast with three pounds of cane sugar in a gallon of water. It got up to 92F before the yeast died. Stunk! Most sources recommend that you add the sugars in stages to avoid overheating.

So far, I've restricted actual use to secondary fermentations of barley wines and high gravity ciders. I let the reqular yeast run down, then add the turbo yeast.

I've been thinking of using this yeast to make a creme de cassis like liqueur.
I know someone that is using this yeast with cane sugar to make a 20% base, then he'll use the liqueur extracts to make various bottles of liqour.
I think he is watching the temp failry closely, hitting the bottem end of the temp range for a cleaner slower ferment.

run the 20% result of this ferment slowly through activated carbon to remove any residual flavours before adding the liquer flavouring.

rod said:
run the 20% result of this ferment slowly through activated carbon to remove any residual flavours before adding the liquer flavouring.

Actually, now that you said that, I remembered, that is what they are planning on doing.

Anyone with a cassis recipe using real black currents or dried ones?

Back