Tubing length question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaBills

Reaction score
Originally I bought 1/2" ID tubing but I ran an equation (found here: http://www.brewersfriend.com/2009/0...our-kegged-beer-co2-line-length-and-pressure/) that said I would need 23 feet to serve my Bavarian Hefeweizen and I only bought 10 so I returned it and bought 3/16". Now when I run the equation it says I need 6 or 7 feet but I'm thinking this is too little based on what I have been reading. Seems people have between 10 and fifteen.

Anyways I bought a 100' roll so I can do whatever I want. I need some advice. Will 10 feet allow me to serve any type of beer without any problems? Or should I go 15 feet? I was thinking maybe around 12.

Also I paid $36.00 for a 100' roll of 3/16" Thermoplastic Vinyl
Beverage Tubing. Good deal?

The only disadvantage of longer tubing is the pour will be a little slower. If you don't mind waiting a couple more seconds for a beer it's not a problem.

If you want your beers to have higher levels of carb (totally appropriate for this hefe, or many Belgian styles) I'd suggest going with 12-15 feet. You can always snip off a little if it's too slow...

The only disadvantage of longer tubing is the pour will be a little slower. If you don't mind waiting a couple more seconds for a beer it's not a problem.

If you want your beers to have higher levels of carb (totally appropriate for this hefe, or many Belgian styles) I'd suggest going with 12-15 feet. You can always snip off a little if it's too slow...

I totally agree. The only disadvantage to "too long" is a slower pour. If you ever want to go to 14-18 psi, for example, you'll need the longer lines.

I only use Bevlex tubing for my beer lines (3/16" ID). I also run with 10 feet of tubing and serve (and carbonate) anywhere from 8-14psi (depends on the brew I have on tap). Once I pass about 12psi, I get more foam in the glass, but that's expected. General rule of thumb (from those that have been kegging for some time) is 1' of 3/16" ID Bevlex beer line per 1psi of pressure it's being served under. So, if you're serving a brew at 10psi, then 10' of beer line will be solid. 10 feet of line will work for 12psi and even 14psi. Just be aware that the higher the psi, the more foam you'll get on the 10 feet of line.

As already mentioned, the only actual down side to using longer beer lines is a potentially slower pour. For most of us, that's not an issue. Mainly because we're not serving hundreds of pints an evening, so if it takes a few seconds (or even twice as long) to serve a brew from tap, it's a non-issue.

Thanks for replies. Looks like I'll be using around 15. I don't mind the slower pour, gives me time to admire my brew:mug:

Back