tubing from ss braid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrygent73

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I just got a longer piece of ss braided hose to improve my mash tun. I was wondering if the tubing that is removed from inside the hose would make good high temp. tubing. Right now I use vinyl to go from my mash tun to my kettle. Would this be a better alternitive since it is made for high temp food safe applications (i.e. a dishwasher)?

I can't say for sure, but I would think it is not. High temp tubing is generally more expensive to produce/sell/buy. Is the SS braid for a toilet or water supply line. If it's for a toilet, it is probably not designed for hot water since most toilets do not utilize hot water. If it was some sort of water supply line and the package/label indicated it was specifically for hot and cold water usage, then it may be ok.

In general, manufacturers are not going to put extra money into production costs unless there is a need in the final product.

that is what I use mine for. Connects to my CFC and siphons out of my boil kettle. Might not be "safe" tho. IDK. BTW, my SS braid was a really long one used for washing machines. Those have a "hot" inlet, right?

Washing machines may have a hot inlet, but that doesn't mean that the tubing has to comply with any FDA requirements for being labeled as food safe. That would be the only reason I could think of for not using it.

Washing machines may have a hot inlet, but that doesn't mean that the tubing has to comply with any FDA requirements for being labeled as food safe. That would be the only reason I could think of for not using it.

aye!... everybody listen to carl, here... alright...

jk ace. good point

aye!... everybody listen to carl, here... alright...

jk ace. good point

:D One of my favorite shows, if you couldn't tell.

"Look, all I know is that this cord was plugged into my house and your house was glowing like the freakin' sun. So, I put two and two together there and decided that you're pissing me off. "

Back