Trying to Work On My 'Process' Regarding Timing, and Could Use a Hand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishhead202

Reaction score
Hey All, I'm still pretty new at this, maybe a dozen batches or so, and am slowly working on the different pieces that will yield me better beer. I'm kegging and doing all-grain batches.

Recently, I've gained access to a fridge. This guy should hold 4 kegs, and eventually will have taps, etc.

I also have a mini fridge, that I was using with one keg, but now I'm planning to use for fermentation, so I can control my temps.

On to the questions. If I use the mini fridge to ferment, I can only have one brew fermenting at a time, so I'm trying to determine how long I need to control my temps. Is a week or two enough? Does it need to stay at the 'proper' ferm temp until I move it to a keg? My issue comes up with beer that I may want to age for a few months. I'd rather not have to wait to brew another beer while the first one hogs the ferm fridge for 3 months. Can I wait until I hit target gravity, then take it out of the fridge to age?

My other question was regarding yeast/timing/secondary/aging. My understanding is that leaving the beer on the yeast too long can create off flavors. Upon hitting final gravity, is the standard practice to move it to a keg to age a bit? A secondary (I know that's a dirty word to some)? Is temp control important at this point?

I'm basically trying to see what's realistic for my setup. Can I be rotating a beer through my ferm fridge every week or two, with 4 on tap, and several other "on-deck" or aging while at room temp?

I appreciate any advice. Trying to take my processes to the next step, not that I can do some real temp control.

I'm afraid I don't have first-hand knowledge of your particular situation. I do extracts, bottles and didn't get a fridge until after about 90 batches.

However, somewhere, I read that temp control is most important during primary fermentation. After that, temps are less important. Of course, you wouldn't allow a beer to set in the extreme heat or cold during secondary. After a primary ferment in your mini fridge, you might move the keg to a cool quiet corner to age for an appropriate time, then move it to the serving line.

Regarding the yeast flavors; I think six weeks is the accepted rough ball park to move a brew off the yeast cake.

Hope this helps and maybe some real experts will chime in soon.

Once fermentation is done, you don't have to really worry about the temperatures too much. Obviously you don't want it getting to like 100°F or anything, but once you've gotten near your FG - which should be between 5-10 days for most traditional ales with proper yeast maintenance and brewing habits - then you can take it out of the fermenting chamber and let it sit at room temps ("aging" it prior to carbonation). Some people even use their kegs as a secondary, aging it in them instead. You can then transfer under pressure to another keg to actually "keg" it, thus eliminating the extra round of oxygen exposure that you'd normally encounter if racking to a secondary and then kegging, but still allowing extra clarification of the beer. The only thing I'd suggest when aging prior to carbonation is keeping it as constant of a temp as possible to avoid massive pressure changes and potential exposure to more O2.

As far as autolysis with the yeast cake, you needn't worry about this. People have done experiments with leaving the beer on the cake for extended periods of time (6 months and greater) without any off flavors developing. It's more common in wine making and has kind of become an "old wives' tale" in the homebrewing community until relatively recently (from my understanding). If you're really worried about it, rack to a secondary or just keg it when you pull it out of the fermenting chamber. But many people around here will tell you that, with minor exception for certain styles, you'll have no issue leaving it in primary for a couple of months if needed.

I agree with Matt, you shouldn't need to tie up your ferment chamber for long periods of time. I actually prefer kegs as my "secondary" vessels - either in the keezer for lagering or in the coolest spot in my house for warmer aging - and I don't usually even bother jumping to a separate serving keg. Pretty much all my beers are in kegs by the 2-3 wk mark, not because I'm worried about getting them off the yeast but to minimize exposure to oxygen. I find if I hit the keg with 30 psi and lube up the lid for a good seal they seem to stabilize with a tiny bit of pressure left in the headspace indefinitely. The other thing you can do is naturally carb the keg - I use about 2.5 oz of sugar for 5 gal.
:mug:

I have a question about carbonating in the kegs, I have 2 extra spots in my keezer for "on deck beer" but Im going to get a couple more kegs and carb naturally out of the keezer. Do you just add the priming sugar and put them away or do you throw a little co2 in there to purge the oxygen before you put them away?

Yes when not transfering under CO2 with a closed system I purge the headspace a few times, then hit it with pressure to be sure it's sealed. I always use keg lube on the lids for extra insurance.

Really, you are most concerned with good temperature control for the first part of primary fermentation. Most esters get produced and thrown off during the first few days of active fermentation. As long as you are doing ales and have a fairly vigorous fermentation, I think you would be alright brewing one weekend, then taking that brew out of the fermentation chamber and replacing it with another the following weekend.

This is great info, thanks all!

So it sounds like if I did something like:
1-2 weeks in fridge then age in primary/secondary/keg at room temp (75 degrees or so) until it's ready to go on tap should be fine.

Big event end of June that I need to have 3 beers ready for. Looking forward to getting my little production line going! Thanks!

This is great info, thanks all!

So it sounds like if I did something like:
1-2 weeks in fridge then age in primary/secondary/keg at room temp (75 degrees or so) until it's ready to go on tap should be fine.

Big event end of June that I need to have 3 beers ready for. Looking forward to getting my little production line going! Thanks!

Yep, you should be fine. Just note though that warmer temps will accelerate the aging process. So if you're making something that shouldn't be aged too long but you want to store it for a while, it might be better to age them in the kegerator/keezer.

Back