Trying to save a Dark Mild

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bguzz

Reaction score
I brewed a dark mild with the following grain bill:
76% maris otter
7% c120
7% pale chocolate
10% pale chocolate

I mashed at 153F aerated with pure 02 and pitched rehydrated Windsor dry yeast. I started at 1.036 and finished 1.016 leaving only 2.5% ABV.

I repitched some Nottingham and nothing happened. I don't think this FG and 2.5% will wind up good. I was thinking of boiling some water, putting in enough corn sugar to raise the gravity by about .06....if it ferments out, it would give me 3.5% ABV and probably still the 1.016...might not be so bad then? Is this a bad idea?

Amalyse Enzyme will bring it down if you don't have a yeast cake to pitch it on to.

Have you tried it? I was in a similar situation with a pale mild that ended being delicious by itself and very good for mixing in with other beers. I keep a keg of low alcohol, malty sweet mild on tap at all times for mixing.

Well, I wound up putting in .5 lbs of cane sugar in (it is a 3.5 gallon batch). It started fermeting it away in about and hour. Hopefully that will bump up the abv to balance it out. If nothing else...it will be neat experiment. I'll post back the results for the benefit of other stuck/stopped fermentations.

Back