trying to make some wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tomdip5

Reaction score
I have many 6 gallon fermenters, syphon, hydrometer, thermometer, etc. Basically the essentials for making beer.

1. If I buy a 2.5 gallon wine kit, would I need to purchase any additional supplies?

2. How many liters or 12 oz bottles would that yield?

3. Does wine usually need primary AND secondary fermenting?

Thanks fellow brewers!

I've never seen a 2.5 gallon kit. Most kits are 6 gallon, but there are a few 3 gallon "special" kits like port wine or something. The thing with wine is you need a primary (any bucket will do) but also a secondary, and the carboy should match the batch size. A 5 gallon carboy wouldn't be useful for a wine kit.

I started using 1 gallon jugs for secondary fermentators way back in the 80s
I know it seems like more work, but I found it was way more convenient to store them in the closet than trying to handle the big 5 gallon glass carboys. ( seemed there were no plastic carboys back then.)

it seems to have several advantages and several disadvantages, but it works for me as I usually have 20 gallons of wine going during high wine making time (fall when all the fruits are ripe).

yes I have a few airlocks
I also have a set of metal garage selves set up in a closet to hold all the jugs. and they are easier to handle than big carboys.

Plus Me and my friends had a blast emptying all those gallons of wine to get those bottles

Williams makes 2.5 gallon kits. They make about 10 750mL bottles.

You do need a carboy that is 2.5 gallons, no headspace allowed during late-stage (some call it secondary) fermentation or ageing.
You can get away with smaller carboys, but each will require as much work as a larger one.

Ok so during the primary my fermenter can exceed the batch size and have head room. But during the secondary no head room? And yes i plan on buying from williams

Ok so during the primary my fermenter can exceed the batch size and have head room. But during the secondary no head room? And yes i plan on buying from williams

But I've never seen a 2 gallon or 2.5 gallon carboy- ever. They have 1, 3, 5, 6, and 6.5 gallon carboys commonly, but never 2 or 4 gallon sized. What do they recommend for a vessel?

I have a couple of 2.5 gallon pails that I use for sauerkraut, but I wouldn't use them for wine - too much surface area for oxidation at the top.

So we are at a crossroad. I don't want to shed out more money for a bigger kit. Its my first wine brew so Ide rather stay small. Hmmmm

3 gal carboy and purge headspace with c02? Or fill with lead free marbles to eliminate space?

The Williams kits make great wine. Spring for their 2 1/2 gallon winery. For $100, you get everything to make 10 bottles, but it takes the same amount of work to make 5 gallons as 2 1/2. For $50 more, you get 20 bottles. Its worth it.

I poured a bottle of 15 month old Williams Merlot last night, its easily a $20 bottle.

Good to know, I'll just get the 5 gallon kit. One more thing, I was talking to a wisky rep at my liquor store, and he told me whisky stops aging when you take it out of the barrell.

With wine, does it have to stay in the secondary to age, or can the flavors develop more in the bottle?

How long does it typically stay in the secondary?

Thanks guys!

I leave all my wines in the carboy for 6 months and drink at 1 year minimum. Wine does keep changing with time. Whiskey (and wine in a true barrel) will stop getting benefits from that barrel once it is removed.

I am going to start a Viognier Williams kit soon, I'm not really a white wine drinker, but what the heck, I'll give it a try. Next will be the Nebbiolo or Petet Syrah.

The good thing is once you have the 5 gallon kit, all you need to buy is the Williams concentrate kits to make more wine!!!

P.S. I follow the directions, sparse as they are, but I have made tons of kits, so I know what things should be done when. Just keep asking on this board if you get confused about the processes, lots of knowledge available.

Latest posts

Back