Trying to make a recipe out of this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokenanchor

Reaction score
I'm planning on doing a brew today or tomorrow, but the guy I usually brew with is at his cabin in Wisconsin, and I'd rather not brew one that we had already planned...plus he took his computer, and therefore beersmith with him, so I don't have the recipes. Been doing a lot of IPA's lately, so I'd like to stray from that a little. There was talk of doing a partigyle, but I'm not sure I'll have all the ingredients that I want for that. Here's what I've got.

55 lbs of 2 row
55 lbs of Munich

1 lb of Willamette
1 lb of Tettnanger
about 1/2 lb of Chinook
about 1/2 lb of Centennial
couple oz of Cascade

Danstar Nottingham
Danstar Windsor
Danstar Munich
S-04
S-05

I've also got access to most specialty grains. I'm just brain dead today and don't have beer to cure that, so bounce some ideas off me.

The doors are wide open here is you can get specialty malts in time. If you have done a lot of bitters lately, how about something like an Amber Ale or even darker, Brown... porter?

First pick a style, you have almost everything you need for most styles except wheats.

I would go simple. Here's one I made in May. You have most of the stuff. Could skip the speciality and bump up the Munich.

8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
12.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [4.20 %] (20 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [4.20 %] (10 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [4.20 %] (0 min)

Use the Notty

Mash at 154F

I got 1.046 OG out of this.

Golden and delicious. I thought so anyway.

I ended up far from the realm of simple. I was reading an RIS recipe and noticed that I had the chocolate and crystal malts...plus it just sounded awesome. Brewed this up last night, then went more ridiculous and did another quick sparge for an experimental batch since there was so much sugar left in the grain. 5 gallons and two growlers of this stuff...and stuff like it...are happily bubbling away. Good thing I used a blow off tube though it's already going nuts.

12.0 lbs American 2-row
1.0 lbs American Chocolate Malt
1 lbs Crystal Malt 10°L
2.0 lbs Roasted Barley
1.0 lbs Light Brown Sugar
8 oz Dark Cocoa Powder - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 lbs Molasses
.5 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Chinook (13.00%) - added during boil, boiled 20 min
1.0 oz Saaz (5.00%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
8.00 fl oz WYeast 1056 American Ale
4 c Coffee Beans (Espresso) - added dry to secondary fermenter

I would go simple. Here's one I made in May. You have most of the stuff. Could skip the speciality and bump up the Munich.

8 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM)
12.0 oz Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM)
8.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)

0.50 oz Centennial [9.00 %] (60 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [4.20 %] (20 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [4.20 %] (10 min)
0.50 oz Williamette [4.20 %] (0 min)

Use the Notty

Mash at 154F

I got 1.046 OG out of this.

Golden and delicious. I thought so anyway.

This does sound like a delicious recipe though I'll probably add it to the pipeline since I've got everything except the Melanoiden.

Back