Trying to make a Gluten Free Framboise Lambic

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Master

Reaction score
I have posted over the GF side, but figured might get seen by more people here.

Wife has dietary restrictions limiting wheat intake but not Celiacs. Trace gluten from yeast/dregs/etc shouldn't be a problem. Will throw some Clarity Ferm in there as a precaution.

I'm currently working on the "grain" bill, looking to be Sorghum Syrup, Some Millet and maybe some chestnuts in the partial mash. Normally she just drinks cider, but she really wants GF Lambic style. Raspberry to be specific. If not the for the lead time to make it, I'd be a lot more experimental with small batches until I get it close. That said, I can't make more time, so I'm trying to get it fairly close first shot.

On the ferment side, I'm looking at using a dry Sacc yeast, to do primary, then move it out of my temp controlled conical to a glass carboy sitting in a closet which will be where I introduce the bugs. And the Raspberries as bug food.

7-9 days in Primary, rack onto 10 pounds of Raspberries, then pitch ?

Having never done a Lambic, should I hit it with a Mix? Pedio then Brett? Brett then Pedio?

I have done something similar to what you are proposing (just not gluten free). This was a recipe from BYO magazine for Russian River’s Temptation. The process was to add the sacc first, then Brett and then Pedio.

For dry yeast, I would use something that does not attenuate very well to leave some sugars for the Brett to chew on. Maybe something like S04. I doubt the fruity eaters from S04 will be a problem since you are adding raspberries.

Whenever I add fruit to my sours I usually wait until the end to add the fruit. I usually brew, ferment and let the bugs sour and funk the beer. I then add the fruit and let it sit on the fruit for 3 months.

If you want to add fruit early, you may want to consider adding some fruit at the end also for some addition flavor, aroma. https://www.themadfermentationist.com/2017/12/cherry-wine-flanders-red-recipe.html Check out this article about adding fruit twice.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/russian-river-temptation-clone-start-to-finnish.500143/
This is the link about my brewing of the Temptation Clone. It has the type of Brett and Pedio I used and the timing of additions. Plus some info about bottling.

So here is what I did.

Partial Mash in my HERMS system. Batch sparged vs Fly because Millet Channels like mad.

5 pounds Pale Millet Malt
4 pounds Goldfinch Millet Malt
1 pound Rice Hulls
1 Tsp Alpha Amylase Enzyme

2 hour Mash
30 min 120F
60 min 158F
30 min 163F

4x Batch Sparge
3.3 pounds (1 tub) of Breiss sorghum syrup added to Boiler

8.5 gallons pre boil

1/2 oz aged Fuggles added at 60 and 30 to go.

Cooled to 68. Oxygenated.

Pitched one packet of Mangrove Jack's M-41 Belgian Yeast directly.

1.048 OG
1.040 24 hours in
1.020 48 hours
1.014 72 hours

Going to rack to secondary tomorrow if my bugs arrive. Will be using WLP 655 and five pounds of Red Raspberries as bug food. Will then stick the glass secondary carboy in the closet and just let it ride for next nine months.

Why is is called AbbyNormal? Well, my wife is named Abby. She's not exactly normal. And yes, it's pronounced Fronk-EN-Steen.

If you haven't seen Young Frankenstein, I can't help your lack of taste.

Well, my bugs haven't arrived. They have been sitting on a FedEx Truck that hasn't moved in 3 days, and are likely frozen solid.

Leaving for two weeks tomorrow, so I guess it will sit in primary for another two weeks.

It's the end of May.

We finally have the starts of a Pellicle.

Blended and bottled today.

3.90 pH after blending 4:2 with the base beer without bugs/fruit. 1.000 fg

Curious if you tasted this before blend/bottle? I have my first lambic going with Wyeast 3278 blend and I am looking to see how people enjoy the blended Sach/Brett/Pedio/Lacto blends. Looking to use a similar process with aging on Raspberries etc.

Tasted it. It had the right flavor, but the mouthfeel was a tad thin, but that is a common issue with Gluten Free stuff.
The 4 gallons that aged on berries and had bugs was too tart for my wife's taste, so that's why I back blended with the 2 gallons for sacch fermented base beer.

It's done.. Broke out a bottle to celebrate a year since my wife had a brain tumor removed.

No, she wouldn't pose for a normal picture.. It is AbbyNormal Glutton Free Framboise Lambic after all.

51658145_10157244906124284_8534906569060515840_n.jpg

The bottle label

Attachments

• page01.jpg
    page01.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 31
Back