Trying to like Belgian beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flee15

Reaction score
I am trying to expand into Belgian beers, but can't get past the 'clove' taste. Are there any good examples that do not have the 'clove' taste, or should I give up?

Also, are there any Belgian yeast strains that will limit/exclude the clove character? I was thinking maybe WLP530 fermented low initially before raising for attenuation.

TIA

The good news if you want to brew a Belgian style is that those esters are not that easy to achieve. WY1388 is one that I use a lot. I would not worry about too much clove. Pitch at the low range.

Moinette Blonde is milder (flavor wise) than Duvel and not crazy at all like Delirium tremens and others.

You're trying to brew one? or just find some that you like?

I personally love Westvleteren 8, but you can't get it in the US.

Have you had a Belgian Pale Ale like a deKoninck or Palm? They are pretty straight-forward, easy-drinking beers. Duvel and Westmalle Trippel I don't believe have much clove flavor, it's more bubblegum/orange peel. Duvel is dangerously drinkable for an 8% abv beer.

Both. If had St. Bernardus abt, chimay white, Brother Thelonious and were all good. My MIL gave me a sixer of Petrus? never heard of it, but they were good as well.

Have you considered Dubbels or Quads? They tend toward dark fruit. There are some wonderful recipes on the candisyrup.com website when you want to brew your own.

Gulden Draak is nice too. My favorite Belgian to date was Kwaak. Come to think of it, I haven't tried many I haven't liked. And can't remember one that had a strong clove character...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back