Trying to decide what Conversion kit to buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timcadieux

Reaction score
So I'm preparing to start kegging and I'm having a little trouble trying to decide what hardware to purchase. I already own 2x Ball lock kegs.

I already have a minifridge in which i store my beer bottles, so I'd like to use it to store 2x Ball Lock kegs. Now I could purchase a single Keg kit and always rotate out the keg, when its empty, insert the new one, refill, etc.

In order to save money I'm happy to use Cobra (picnic) taps to serve my beer.

The fridge is permanantly under a countertop, next to a sink so I figured i'd pierce a line through the sidewall and store the c02 tank under the sink. This has the advantage that I could upgrade to a 10# tank instead of the 5.

I live in Canada, I have the option to purchase this http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/product_p/dualcobrabasic.htm or this http://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Cobra_Tap_Basic_Kit_for_Use_with_Corny_Kegs_p/cobra-no-keg.htm.

Each has the option to upgrade the C02 tank to a 10# but the Dual kit also has the possibilty of upgrading to a Dual Product gauge instead of a manifold. I can see this being interesting as I could foresee serving a Belgian Leffe (3.0vol) alongise an APA (2.4vol.).

So, my issue is, do I start small and potentially regret and upgrade or take a $$ hit upfront. the difference in price is about $150 if I upgrade both options, tank and regulator.

Also, will i actaully see that big of a difference if I decide to just use the manifold and perhaps set it toa vol. thats in betweent he requirement for the two kegs? Ie an overcarbed APA or an under carbed Leffe?

I don't know much about what the difference would be like between those two volumes of co2 but I do think this is a place where "go big or go home" works well.
If you have a dual gauge regulator, you can carb two beers the same or differently. If you have a single gauge, you can do two beers but always the same.
If you're even thinking about it, you should just get it and not regret it later.
Same goes for the tank. If you have room for it, go for it.

Back