Trying something new today. Sprite mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MasterJeem

Reaction score
It doesn't actually contain sprite, but it's meant to be citrusy and refreshing. I may also try and market it to basketball players (kidding).

It all started yesterday when i was going to make an orange mead. Not quite jaom, but orange. I got rid of the raisins, the allspice, the nutmeg, the cinammon, no cloves, no nothin.

Peeled 5 oranges, skinned 2 limes and 2 lemons, and tossed them in the bucket. i zested 2 of the oranges and the lemons and added the zest to the bucket as well as a gallon (just over 14lbs) of wildflower honey, 5 tsp of yeast nutrient, 1 rehydrated packet of lalvin d-47, and watered to 5 gallons.

I plan to squeeze more lemons and limes and add the juice to the secondary because i'm really not sure how that much citric acid will affect the initial fermentation, but i'm not taking chances.

I'm hoping this will end up a tart, refreshing, summer drink that's not too sweet and well carbonated.

OG = 1.095

Your thoughts? Anybody try something like this? I'll be sure to keep you updated. Just sealed the lid about an hour ago.

Well, I'd have thought, having experimented with various citrus fruit and JAO, that you will have to up the Orange and Lemon, as the lime can become overpowering. To help with freshness and aroma, zesting the fruit and putting it into secondary should help.

Though initially, you'll need to closely monitor the pH, as the potential to get a stuck ferment, is much higher, hence good and regular aeration to the 1/3rd sugar break is likely important to help the yeast, and also bring the carbonic acid out of solution as CO2.

Finally, I'd also suggest good nutrition, again to help the yeast and as you've used D47, keep the ferment below 70F, so you don't stress the yeast and get fusel production (and end up with a.citrus scented rubbing alcohol taste).

What the heck is skeeter pee? Are you knocking his experiment or is that actually a kind of mead.

Skeeter pee is a type of lemon wine, theres a big thread about it in the wine forum, though this sounds different enough to me to diserve its own thread, though it eoukd he worth reading up on as technique would be similar.

Well, I'd have thought, having experimented with various citrus fruit and JAO, that you will have to up the Orange and Lemon, as the lime can become overpowering. To help with freshness and aroma, zesting the fruit and putting it into secondary should help.

Though initially, you'll need to closely monitor the pH, as the potential to get a stuck ferment, is much higher, hence good and regular aeration to the 1/3rd sugar break is likely important to help the yeast, and also bring the carbonic acid out of solution as CO2.

Finally, I'd also suggest good nutrition, again to help the yeast and as you've used D47, keep the ferment below 70F, so you don't stress the yeast and get fusel production (and end up with a.citrus scented rubbing alcohol taste).

Great insight! As an update i can say that its been less than 24 hours and its already bubbling. It will certainly stay below 70F where it's at right now.

Are you saying i should add some zest to it for secondary as well? i was considering it. I'm hoping that the two lemons and two limes that are in the 5 gallon primary aren't going to leech enough acid during the primary to do much to the yeast, which is why i'm planning on adding most of the lemon/lime juice to the secondary. I will keep an eye on the ph, though.

Considering i'm already starting to get some action out of the airlock, i'm thinking that this one is going to be a success.

When i made my first mead, it was basically a JAOM, and the entire gallon was drinkable (and drank) after a month. Seeing as how this is something simple and i shouldn't have too many flavors that i would consider needing to be aged out. I'm thinking that this should be good to go some time this summer. I'll certainly save some and see what it turns out like after waiting a year, but if its good by july, this stuff is coming to a picnic.

I did a 5 gallon batch of Lemon/Lime mead. I used 3 cups of each juice and 1 tablespoon of zest of each type. Back sweetened it and thined it out a bit to about 6 gallons and that served to bring the alcohol content down to about 10% and made it more drinkable. I used Lavin D-47 as well. But then again in the primary I only used zest. In the secondary is were the juice was. I got a nice and smooth lemon/lime flavor. It wasn't tart.

I would suggest more juice in the secondary and adding another tablespoon of lemon and lime zest in the secondary for more tartness and flavor. In brewing the majority of the flavor you will get is in the zest. That is the color of the outside peel. The white part of the peel you don't want as it is called pith and very biter. So I recomend you zest (or grate off the color of) 2-3 lemons and limes and use that directly in the secondary.

Oops, sorry. Looks like you are doing a 1-2 gal batch, make the tablespoon into a teaspoon then.

Matrix

no... i'm doing a 5 gallon batch and i've put zest in the primary as well as plan on putting some in the secondary, as well.

I did a 5 gallon batch of Lemon/Lime mead. I used 3 cups of each juice and 1 tablespoon of zest of each type. Back sweetened it and thined it out a bit to about 6 gallons and that served to bring the alcohol content down to about 10% and made it more drinkable. I used Lavin D-47 as well. But then again in the primary I only used zest. In the secondary is were the juice was. I got a nice and smooth lemon/lime flavor. It wasn't tart.

I would suggest more juice in the secondary and adding another tablespoon of lemon and lime zest in the secondary for more tartness and flavor. In brewing the majority of the flavor you will get is in the zest. That is the color of the outside peel. The white part of the peel you don't want as it is called pith and very biter. So I recomend you zest (or grate off the color of) 2-3 lemons and limes and use that directly in the secondary.

Oops, sorry. Looks like you are doing a 1-2 gal batch, make the tablespoon into a teaspoon then.

Matrix

also, how long did it take for yours to clear up? i'm hoping to have this ready t his summer and i'm guessing since its so simple, it can be done.

also, how long did it take for yours to clear up? i'm hoping to have this ready t his summer and i'm guessing since its so simple, it can be done.

The primary went pretty quickly, about a month. Then it does take some time for it to clear. Pectic Enzyme will help as well as Sparkloid treatments BUT with aging, I would be aiming for NEXT summer. I think the it should be ready to bottle by fall. You said you just started this. If you started it last fall then it would be ready in summer. Figure about 4-6 months for primary, secondary, and clearing. Then about 6-8 months once clear for aging. Mead needs to be aged and you can do that in the bottle. This is not beer. Be patient. Trust me the flavor once it develops a bit is worth it.

This is why I have 8 carboys and keep them rotating and full most of the time. That way I have a good continious source. Even though I don't drink much.

Matrix

The primary went pretty quickly, about a month. Then it does take some time for it to clear. Pectic Enzyme will help as well as Sparkloid treatments BUT with aging, I would be aiming for NEXT summer. I think the it should be ready to bottle by fall. You said you just started this. If you started it last fall then it would be ready in summer. Figure about 4-6 months for primary, secondary, and clearing. Then about 6-8 months once clear for aging. Mead needs to be aged and you can do that in the bottle. This is not beer. Be patient. Trust me the flavor once it develops a bit is worth it.

This is why I have 8 carboys and keep them rotating and full most of the time. That way I have a good continious source. Even though I don't drink much.

Matrix

thanks, man. yeah, i've only been making mead for 3 months so far and i got a little spoiled as my first recipe was ready after 2 months and my black and blueberry was delicious right out of the primary. so far i've collected quite a few things as far as carboys, fermenters and all that goes. i have 4 batches going currently. i'll be happy in another 8 months when my batches start to come together and are drinkable! i spend too much money on my hobbies, haha

thanks, man. yeah, i've only been making mead for 3 months so far and i got a little spoiled as my first recipe was ready after 2 months and my black and blueberry was delicious right out of the primary. so far i've collected quite a few things as far as carboys, fermenters and all that goes. i have 4 batches going currently. i'll be happy in another 8 months when my batches start to come together and are drinkable! i spend too much money on my hobbies, haha

Believe me, I know about spending too much money on my hobbies. As I said, I have 8 carboys and struggle to keep them filled. I have in the bottle 29 batches total. But with Mead, no matter how tasty it is strait from clearing, it will be MUCH tastier in 6-8 months. My first batch was just a standard honey mead with alfalpha honey. Tasted like antiseptic out when I bottled it. A year latter, yumminess. 2 years even more so. Also, As I said, Oaking WILL make it tastier quicker. I suggest oaking with lightly toasted oak on this particular batch. Close to clearing put in 1 oz of lightly toasted oak chips in a muslin bag is best for easy clean up. Leave it in anywhere from 2 weeks to a month. Then remove and wait for clearing. I like to rack at the time I remove it. Also, Racking to a Tetriary when the sediment is about 1/4 inch or more will help it clear faster.

Matrix
Happy Mead Making.

oaking the lemon lime, you say? i just may have to try this. I have oaked a blueberry/blackberry batch and it turned out amazing. i'm not sure how it would come out for this, but i'll certainly give it a try!

For those of you interested in this recipe, I racked today with a SG of 1.010.

I added 2 cups of fresh squeezed lemon juice, as well as 1 cup of lime juice. I added an additional 1.5lbs of honey.

after tasting, i've decided i'm going to add an additional cup of lemon, as well as an additional cup of lime. it tastes delicious and tangy, but lacks the "bite" i was hoping for

I measured the gravity yesterday as this has completely cleared and it was 1.005. i added 1/2 cup of corn sugar and bottled it yesterday! got 37 grolsch bottles out of it. threw one in the fridge and took it over my girlfriend's. the just-bottled, unaged got great feedback from her. apparently it tastes like a tart chardonnay. very happy with this recipe!

I measured the gravity yesterday as this has completely cleared and it was 1.005. i added 1/2 cup of corn sugar and bottled it yesterday! got 37 grolsch bottles out of it. threw one in the fridge and took it over my girlfriend's. the just-bottled, unaged got great feedback from her. apparently it tastes like a tart chardonnay. very happy with this recipe!

Should be awesome when it ages out. As I remember when mine was young it was a bit weak on the flavors. It gained legs after about 9 months, at a year it was really good. The sharpness is not there but then I wasn't looking for sharpness. I was looking for a good lemon/lime flavor, and I thined it down a bit so that it was lower on the alcohol level. Got it down to about 8-10% and it became very drinkable.

Matrix

Yeah, the lemon lime flavor isn't quite there, but... It's a month old, haha. I'm excited to see what I'll have in 9 months

Back