Trust the old pros here...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

curtw

Reaction score
My buddy and I brewed up a 5g full boil extract "Best Bitter" last Sunday. OG was 1.045, everything seemed fine. On this, my third batch, I created a 2L starter about 24 hr before pitching; yeast was active in the starter at pitch time.

Here I am 5 days later, with zero activity in the airlock (5g bucket for primary), and in spite of all the advice from the experienced folks here, I was getting nervous. Yeah, I know that fermentation can take place even without CO2 bubbles, but still -- ?

So I just took a gravity reading, and it's at 1.020, and it tastes good. Huzzah! I'll probably leave it for another 2 weeks before I even think about bottling.

So thanks everybody here!

Welcome to the board and the hobby! Airlock activity is the worst indicator of fermentation (I don't even use one) you're looking for the krausen....give it some time and you'll be good.

Cheers!:mug:

026.jpg

004.jpg

002.jpg

Back