True GDM blow off evaporation issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanitariex

Reaction score
This may be standard for the True GDM, but I've noticed that I lose a lot more of my sanitizer in my blowoff during fermentation than I feel I should. I'm currently using a quart jug full of sanitizer, at 52 degrees, and two weeks after starting fermentation, all the liquid is gone. Is this normal? Or do I need to use a larger jug or just add more sanitizer weekly? I also leave the fan running constantly, having replaced the thermostat with an stc-1000. Thanks for any help you may have!

I don't lose a quart in two weeks, but I do have to top off mine occasionally and I keep the fan running all the time. This is a GDM 10 and I do make sure the blow offs aren't directly in line with the fan.

The thing with being sucked back in, is it was at 52 when I pitched and placed the tube in the blowoff, so I wouldn't imagine the temp dropped while the tube was still submerged. Hmm. I'll try moving it out of line of the fan on the next one

As the CO2 bubbles through the sanitizer, it creates bubbles that rise to the top of the jug and spill out. You can lose a lot of liquid this way when its fermenting actively. I use vodka in my airlock now for this reason.

Though I do find it hard to believe that you would like an entire quart.

Ditch the blow-off once the throes of primary have passed (4-5 days) and switch to an S-lock...

Cheers!

Excellent advice! That's what I always do as well. After the fermentation settles down in four days or so, I take off the blow off tube and attach an air lock.

John

Back