True Brew - German Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muph

Reaction score
Making some German Light and the directions Fermentation stops after 48-72hrs and to let settle (in primary) for another 3-4 days, then bottle.

Does this seem too soon for anyone? Should be able to bottle within a week after beginning fermentation according to directions. Would it be better/worse to let it settle longer? Also it's not a lager so I assume secondary is not necessary?

In only a couple days,only initial fermentation will be done. It'll then slow down till it ferments out to a stable FG. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up by products & settle out more. It'll take a couple weeks to accomplish this,on average. So leave it alone,& RDWHAHB...Also get a hydrometer if you don't already have one. And no,you don't need a secondary at this point.

In only a couple days,only initial fermentation will be done. It'll then slow down till it ferments out to a stable FG. Then give it 3-7 days to clean up by products & settle out more. It'll take a couple weeks to accomplish this,on average. So leave it alone,& RDWHAHB...Also get a hydrometer if you don't already have one. And no,you don't need a secondary at this point.

Sounds good, thanks. I was wondering, with a hydrometer, how can I test the beer without removing the lid? Or do I just remove it to test then put back? Do you think I would need a secondary at all for this batch?

No,you don't really need a secondary unless you're adding fruit,oak chips,or the like. Just sanitize something to scoop out enough brew to fill the test tube (I use the tube the hydrometer comes in) to an inch & a half or so of the top. Then re-seal the FV. It'll be fine if done quickly. That's why all my FV's have spigots. Easier that way.

No,you don't really need a secondary unless you're adding fruit,oak chips,or the like. Just sanitize something to scoop out enough brew to fill the test tube (I use the tube the hydrometer comes in) to an inch & a half or so of the top. Then re-seal the FV. It'll be fine if done quickly. That's why all my FV's have spigots. Easier that way.

I'll get a spigot for next time, starting siphon sucks..

Just bottled Friday, there was some leftover that I tasted, flat so it tasted like crap.. But you could tell when it carbonates it will be real good! Just 3 more weeks to go now..

That's funny, I drank the remaining beer from bottling bucket yesterday and even though flat, it was delicious!

Same as my first batch. I left it in the fermenter for 2 weeks, bottled and waited 2 more weeks. I did screw up a bit, by letting it condition in the garage where it got a bit cool a few nights. I think I should have left it in the house where the temps were more stable. But, I'm in central Florida, so even the cool garage never dropped below upper 50's. That being said, I'm fairly pleased with the results. A tad more carbonation, but it's still tasty. And there are bubbles. I learned some, and the next batch will be better.

That's funny, I drank the remaining beer from bottling bucket yesterday and even though flat, it was delicious!

I always do the same, it always taste better after it conditions, but it is nice to get an idea of how it will taste.

This was the first 5 gallon batch I made after I graduated from Mr. Beer. It was prety good but I don't remember it saying that it was a kolsh. but like I said it was my first.

...That's why all my FV's have spigots. Easier that way.

Hello unionrdr, I always learn from your posts. For some reason, it never occurred to me to use a FV with a spigot. Duh. So... I have two 7 gallon buckets I am using as FV's. I'm thinking...take a spade bit and drill a 1 inch hole about halfway up and pop in a spigot.... No? Halfway up should avoid sediment around the bottom and give a reasonably good gravity reading, no?

Thoughts?

Mark

Just tried a bottle today, it was carbonated but perhaps not quite enough (it wasn't fizzing but taste/texture/mouth feel.. was there already). It was really good! Good enough to drink one a day until they're complete, lol.

Curious how everyone's results were with this beer. This was my 3rd brew, everything went smoothly. Came out a good beer but not a pilsner, like I thought. It has a slight red hue (instead of straw), looks more like a light amber. My wife loves it. It's mild, but it has a tad tangy-ness, not off putting at all but not what I expected.

Back