trub question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rguardian989

Reaction score
currently fermenting a double black ipa (yes i jumped on the bandwagon)

i didnt really do a great job of filtering out the hops durning brewing and now the trub is a greenish color and quite thick. Its been going for a week and 2 days i think and doesnt show much sign of breaking down. It smells fine and everything looks okay besides this strange greenish looking trub/gunk on top (the color leads me to believe its poorly filtered hop material. its also stuck to the top of my fermentor so i really cant see very well inside to know whats going on or take pictures

is this normal and what should i do?

Don't worry. The yeast cells will coat the hop particles and drop them out with other proteins, etc. Nine days of activity isn't unusual for a high gravity beer. Just give it 3-4 weeks to ferment out and be cognizant of the extra trub when siphoning off to bottle. The odd coloring is probably just a combo of the dark malts, hops and yeast in the krausen.

DSC02602.jpg

DSC02603.jpg

DSC02604.jpg

Your fine, that's just the Krausen coating the whole inside of the carboy. I used to fret and worry over mine - I still like to check on the aromas coming out of the airlocks though. I just wrap mine with a towel and leave it. Most of the gunk will settle out, but the yeast and hop residue is going to stay stuck to the carboy until you soak it/ wash it.

Yeah, everything looks normal. FYI, higher gravity beers often have more vigorous fermentations since the yeast builds itself up more to tackle more sugar. Some yeast strains also will have a tendency to do this more than others as well.

so waht do you think? healthy fermentation and im just being paranoid?

Looks like a good beer! I've had that kinda thing happen with hopped up higher gravity beer. Everything but the residue on the carboy should fall out with the yeast. The 'black ipa' I'm dry hopping right now pushed a decent amount of hop material out thru the blowoff at high krausen and was as clear as a black beer can get last night when I dry hopped.

Mmmmm looks tasty!!! Just give it some more time. You could always cold crash before you keg/bottle, to really clear it up, but its a Black IPA, you aren't going to clarity anyway.

i should probably mention why I was so worried in the first place. We had the back door open when we were cooling the beer to pitch temp when i noticed a mosquito squirming in the top of the wort. I cant tell you how scared i was when i saw it in there. I didnt know what to do so i just pulled it out by hand as fast as possible (on the first try thankfully) however i still got really scared because i know how bad it is to do that.

guess it just goes to show you how hard it is to infect a beer.

I'll let you know how it is when im bottling

Back