Trub in harvested yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I harvested yeast from my last porter and want to use it to make a starter (first time harvesting). I have 3 1q jars. One of them has a ton of trub and not a lot of visible yeast, one has a medium amount of trub and a decent amount of yeast and the third has some trub and decent amount of yeast. Will the trub cause any issues if I use the third jar for a starter?

Yeast.jpg

I would use it. That's what my first harvested yeast looked like and I just try to leave most of the trub behind when I pour it into my starters. Haven't had any problems yet :mug: Some people pour their new wort directly on the previous yeast cake without issues and that's lot more trub, so I figure it's fine.

I would pour off some of the trub, even though it does contain yeast, because it also contains all the flavors of your porter. You will have enough yeast left to make a good starter since the strain of yeast used looks like a very flocculant strain.

Yep, if your making the same (or even similar) beer go ahead and include the trub (does that rhyme?)

I think I read an article somewhere (cant find it now) that the trub actually has the most viable yeast per ml. Plus theres all kinds of vitamins and other goodies that wont hurt the yeast, but help it!

Depending on how long ago you washed that yeast (say if less than a month) I would be tempted to just pitch one or two of the jars directly. Thats not the absolutely perfect situation but I'm generally a bit lazy when it comes to making starters.

Woodland brewing has a good article on how much yeast there are in each fraction. Since reading his work a few years ago, I've stopped trying to wash the yeast and just collect and use it all.

Back