Trouble with style

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Apt23Brewery

Reaction score
Hey everyone! Thanks for clicking on my post. After a wild year with our first born, I am getting back to my favorite hobby. However I find myself with a hodge podge of ingrediants that have been given to me or have had stored for a while, and plan on using so as to keep costs down, and get back into the swing of things. I wanted to list out the ingrediants an see what feedback I would get about the style and possible tips anyone might have.

Grain Bill
1/4 lbs black patent
1/2 lbs munich (Steep for 20 minutes at 160 F)
1 lbs crystal 10

Extract
3.3 lbs pilsen light LME
3 lbs of extra light DME

Hops
1 oz Styrian Bobek Alpha 3.9 (Aroma, 15 minutes in boil)
1 oz UK Fuggle Alpha 4.2 (40 minutes in boil)
1 oz US Golding Alpha 4.9 (60 minutes in boil)

Yeast
Wyeast German Ale 1007

I plan on doing a 5 gallon batch this Saturday. Anyideas of what style this would come close too? Should I change anything up, reduce hops, change boil time? Thanks for your advice, and cheers!

With a few tweaks I think you could make something pretty close to a Kolsch, mainly based on your yeast choice.

Leave out the black patent and Fuggels and save them for a stout or something. Use 2 lbs of the DME and save the rest for starters. This will get you in the neighborhood of 1.048 OG. Also consider changing the Bobek to 10 min which will get you roughly 26 IBUs.

Not exactly sure of your process, but this should get you in the ballpark. Caveat: I've never made a Kolsch myself, but according to the style guidelines the numbers should fit into the style. Hope this helps.

This is a Mild Ale off of BYO's Website:
http://byo.com/stories/beer-styles/article/indices/11-beer-styles/1491-the-10-easiest-beer-styles
• 3.3 lbs. (1.5 kg) liquid malt extract
• 1 lb. (0.45 kg) dry malt extract
• 4 oz. (112 g) crystal malt (10 ºL)
• 2 oz. (56 g) chocolate malt
• 2 oz. (56 g) black patent malt
• 1/2 oz. (14 g) Fuggles hops (bittering)
• 1/2 oz. (14 g) Goldings hops (aroma)
• Wyeast 1098 (British Ale) yeast
OG = 1.033 FG = 1.008
IBU = 11 ABV = 3.2%

You're pretty close to this. You could save some of your ingredients or use them to crank the OG/IBUs up. Check out the website for the discription and such.

Back