Trouble with jaom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Dutch

Reaction score
Hey guys,
So recently I made a 5 gallon batch of JAOM. Followed the recipe but I ran into a snag...it’s too sweet for me.
OG 1.134
FG 1.050

I used bread yeast, but I am wondering if pitching in something like K1-V116 would lower the gravity slightly.

You arw currently at about 11% ABV so yes you could use k1v to dry it out. K1V can go to 18% so if you go to completely dry at .996 you will be at about 17-18%

Assuming my math is right.

Add more water. This will directly dilute the sweetness and fermentation will probably start again since the alcohol was lowered, which will further reduce the sweetness.

If you add 10% water, it will lower ABV by a tenth.

I edited my above post for more info.

Add more water. This will directly dilute the sweetness and fermentation will probably start again since the alcohol was lowered, which will further reduce the sweetness.

So I added water and brought it down to 1.040..no fermentation has occurred. I have two yeast options on hand currently. I have safale s-04 and K1-V1116, if I pitched a 1/4-1/2 packet would that lower it slightly? I mean I could always backsweeten right? I know it’s not the best way, but I don’t think age will fix this issue

Sounds like a good plan. I'd rehydrate and pitch a full packet (either yeast is fine) and backsweeten later if needed.

Or you could add more water.

Latest posts

Back