Trouble with a stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluedog

Reaction score
I made a really tasty stout, last weekend I went to bottle after 4 weeks in primary, got a couple gallons racked into bottling bucket and saw sediment coming off the trub in the fermenter and bottling bucket. I had already added 6 oz brown sugar for priming. I saw no choice but to return beer to fermenter and let it play out another week. Ready to bottle again, cold crashed this time to avoid sediment but now my stout is getting a tart cidery taste (I already had 2 lbs sugar in grain bill) and I suspect the last 6 oz put it over top. It's still drinkable, problem is I need to prime it.........would dark dme maintain or reduce current cider taste? I'm quite certain any more table or brown sugar would make it undrinkable. Please advise.

How much did you brew?

6oz to prime is crazy if you are doing standard 5 gal batches.

For a stout (about 2.2 volumes of CO2) you should only need about 2 3/4 oz.

you basically just upped your alcohol by a bit, give it some time to settle out and it will be great. Boozey beers need some shelf time sometimes.

And don't be afraid of a bit of sediment coming into your bottling bucket. When the beers are in the fridge, all of that crap will fall to the bottom of the bottle anyways.

And don't be afraid of a bit of sediment coming into your bottling bucket. When the beers are in the fridge, all of that crap will fall to the bottom of the bottle anyways.

Agreed.

I pour my beers into pints. If the bottle is too large to fit in one pint, I have as many glasses ready as I need, and fill them all basically in one pour. I stop when the sediment starts to run into my glass.

Some of my friends like the sediment and make sure to swirl it into the glass or do drink right from the bottle.

Back