Trouble in New England... Too Much Rain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kketterer

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I moved my Cascade Hop plants outside into the garden about a week ago. They seemed to take well for a day or so, But then we recieved a week of rain. There is good drainage in the garden, however I feel that they were waterlogged. the 12-18" of growth has fallen off... Are they dead? Should I leave the rhisomes in the ground hoping they will comeback?

I have a backup pot in the house, they are Mt. Hood However lately the tips of those plants are turing brown, as if they were discolored. Not sure what I am doing wrong. I have a houg 20'x30' garden and usually can grow anything....

Sounds like they're still growing to me... Mine aren't even that tall yet and they've been up for 2 or 3 weeks so I wouldn't worry too much. It's just a slow start due to the weather we've been having. My plants actually seemed to have enjoyed the rain though: they definitely grew a bit since being rained on. Now if we could just get a few sunny days...

my guess is its more of the lack of sun than all the rain. ive had mine in the ground since the fall and they're doing fine (2-6')

At this time of year (Nothern Hemisphere) you wont kill yourhops by having too much rain. What they dont like is sitting in cold wet soil during the winter. If your soil is well drained theyll be fine.

they are growing fine here in CT...
had 2 weeks of rain - and the hops are 10-12 feet tall! (2nd year plants)

they are outgrowing the trellis and are falling down on each other....

Back